How Weldment Cut lists are supposed to work?

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
mp3-250
Answers: 20

How Weldment Cut lists are supposed to work?

Unread post by mp3-250 »

We use a localized version of SW so I cannot be 100% sure of the english terms and settings names, please be patient if the terms I use are not accurate.
In the company archive we have a lot of welded frames, many legacy data saved in SW 2016-18 format that we use to make new similar frames. That said I am trying to figure out if our cut lists are behaving ok or not as I recently noticed something that in my eyes is "strange" during the change (0 -> rev.A in the drawing) of one weldment.

I made a sample data of a welded frame with one 3D sketch and a single type of profile (e.g. angle 75x75x6mm)
and I created a new part from an empty template:
1. Make the 3D file
2. Make 2D drawings and insert the cutlist
3. Back to the 3D, sort the cutlist item folders CTRL+Q and save
4. Back to the 2D and the order in the weldments cut list table is updated

Drawing is archived with this Cutlist Item Number.

Change in the part needed (0 -> rev.A) :
Instead of one single type of profile I use two profiles, the old frame is only replaced partially by this new second profile.
1. Open the 2D drawing -> Lock the Item Numbers
2. Save The 2D
3. Open the 3D edit the original feature removing some lines of the 3D sketch assigned to the old profile (e.g. angle 75x75x6mm)
4. create a new feature and assign the 3D sketch lines mentioned in 3. to a new weldment profile (e.g. tube 125x100x2.5)
5. CTRL+Q and save
6. Back to the 2D look at the weldment Cut list table after CTRL+Q and save of the drawing as well

EXPECTED BEHAVIOUR
・Moving cutlist item folders in 3D alters the table in the 2D drawing

・Removed profiles made an Item number to be skipped if quantity =0 this is OK and we want this to happen
(i.e. before modification the table item numbers wer 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 after removing all the profiles numbered as 1 the table changes to 2,3,4,5,7,8 skipping 1)

・Added profiles take the higher available number in the cut list (i.e. before modification Item last number was 8, after modification 9,10,11... come out)

WHAT WE SEE (UNEXPECTED BEHAVIOUR)
・Moving cutlist item folders in 3D DOES NOT alter the table in the 2D drawing (I can live with this)

・Added profiles take the higher available number in the cut list but EVEN WITH A DIFFERENT LENGHT their ITEM NUMBER IS THE SAME (i.e. in the table I get 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,9,9)

If I remake the cutlist item table from zero item numbers are "correct" (different lenght = different number), but I lose the skipped Item numbers from the Rev.0 of the file. This is important as the company way to handle drawings is to skip deleted lines number in the cut list table, while adding the new one as a new number.

I tried this a very simple frame with a vanilla SW 2022 and company SW 2021, but the behaviour is the SAME.
Our real frames use something like 80~100+ cutlist items and we are trying to automatize as much as possible.

Am I missing something about how the Item number is supposed to be used and locked?
DanPihlaja
Answers: 25

Re: How Weldment Cut lists are supposed to work?

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

What does these settings do for you?

From SW 2022:
image.png
From SW 2018:
image.png
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14