Best method to share macros with coworkers?

Programming and macros
starshiphalo2333
Answers: 0

Best method to share macros with coworkers?

Unread post by starshiphalo2333 »

I have a set of 10 macros that I maintain and update. Over the years, I have tried various methods to share them with coworkers. I am looking for a better way to do this, so they will easily get new macros and any updates to existing macros.

Method 1:
Send users instructions on how to create a macro button(s) and give them the parameters for each macro.

Method 2:
Add them to the 'Macro' toolbar, Export the CopySettingsWizard file, have users run the CopySettingsWizard file to get the toolbar. When new or updated macros are added, users have to run a new CopySettingsWizard file.

Method 3:
Create a custom add-in (VB.NET). This method works well until I have to add new macros, which requires the add-in be updated and the users run a new install script to get the new DLL file.

Any suggestions are alternative methods?
AlexB
Answers: 24

Re: Best method to share macros with coworkers?

Unread post by AlexB »

I haven't looked into setting this up, but this may be a good free solution. Artem has a lot of great resources available on his site. It's a custom add-in that essentially does your 3rd suggestion.

https://cadplus.xarial.com/toolbar/
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

This is pretty easy, at least in my environment. You need no API to achieve this.

We have a specific folder location on our common storage server, individually for each of the following purposes: File Templates, BOM Templates, Macros, Copy Settings Wizard, Design Library, and Weldment Templates. Naturally, these locations are applied in Solidworks System Options under File Locations. When a new user is set up, they receive my Settings Wizard which includes all these file locations. If they have further UI customizations to meet their productivity standards, that is fine with me, as we all start with the same File Locations.

When I trigger a Macro, it directly opens the shared Macros folder. When another user does the same, it goes to the same location. Anything available to me is equally available to my other users. The exact same thing applies to BOM Templates, Weldment Profiles, etc. so that all customized options available to me are also available to others.

TL,DR: Put all shared resources on shared storage, and NOT on your PC.
starshiphalo2333

Unread post by starshiphalo2333 »

AlexB wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:29 pm I haven't looked into setting this up, but this may be a good free solution. Artem has a lot of great resources available on his site. It's a custom add-in that essentially does your 3rd suggestion.

https://cadplus.xarial.com/toolbar/
Yep, he has some good stuff. I am trying to keep this internal, meaning not requiring 3rd party software. I would love to see how @artem does this in his add-in, would be great if I could integrate it into my add-in.
Tom G wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:05 pm This is pretty easy, at least in my environment. You need no API to achieve this.

We have a specific folder location on our common storage server, individually for each of the following purposes: File Templates, BOM Templates, Macros, Copy Settings Wizard, Design Library, and Weldment Templates. Naturally, these locations are applied in Solidworks System Options under File Locations. When a new user is set up, they receive my Settings Wizard which includes all these file locations. If they have further UI customizations to meet their productivity standards, that is fine with me, as we all start with the same File Locations.

When I trigger a Macro, it directly opens the shared Macros folder. When another user does the same, it goes to the same location. Anything available to me is equally available to my other users. The exact same thing applies to BOM Templates, Weldment Profiles, etc. so that all customized options available to me are also available to others.

TL,DR: Put all shared resources on shared storage, and NOT on your PC.
Yep, that was actually a method that we used many years ago (before Method 1). Our users (myself included) rather a macro button or menu. This method also had issues when a macro had multiple modules.
Tayfun

Unread post by Tayfun »

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum so this reply might be a little late.

I design and share macros with my colleagues and all the macros are in the server that they can access. I prepared instructions on how to use the macros and how to make a short cut for them. However I'm looking for a easier way to do things.