Solidworks - "Forgetfulness"......Le Sigh!!!!

Arthur NY
Answers: 0

Solidworks - "Forgetfulness"......Le Sigh!!!!

Unread post by Arthur NY »

So this is both semi-click bait BUT at the same time something that drives me KRAZY!!! (notice I'm using a "K" because these things drive me absolutely insane). It's like the programmers and product definition people don't use the software at all. Like there's just no way that any of the below should still not be adjusted by now. I would say "fixed" but that would imply that there's something wrong rather than just being antiquated and out dated!!!

I'd like for Solidworks to really remember what I've last used within the property manager. Let's say for instance using any solid feature and the option to "Merge Results" is something I want off by default there's no way to make this sticky!!! The only work around is to make the first feature Weldments and then the "Merge Results" is now off by default.

When using the pattern feature and wanting to use "Body" instead of of "face" or "feature" it won't sticky to "Body" when next using the feature. At the very least there should be an toggle that stays allows for the property manager to act in this sticky way or not and saved as part of the UI/UX.

And for the luv of ALL the is CAD holy why can't, in 2022, the Transform/Rotate tool within the Move/Copy be used at the same time?!?! That it has to be two separate features makes about as much sense as calling water wet!!!!

Ok rant over.... tonight's rants has been brought to you by the good people over at Kan't-Man-Dooo that serve some of the best pints of Krazy-Beer one can ever ask for!!!
zxys001
Answers: 4

Re: Solidworks - "Forgetfulness"......Le Sigh!!!!

Unread post by zxys001 »

yeah, agree, would be great to have a more options which are user configurable with a "Do and Do Not Remember" setting or user values for each.
additional examples:
Trim Surface - "Trim Type" Standard and Mutual (forced user default or default)
Fillet - "Radius", (user set R default and at least 4 different R user options below the default or used last)
Loft/Boundary - C1 or C2 constraint as default
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

. . . and then there's one of my biggest pet peeves. Most of my drawings have anywhere from two to eight detail views. I always use the "with Leader" option. And I have had to change it from the default every stinking time for 13 years.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Dwight
Answers: 2

Unread post by Dwight »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:42 am . . . and then there's one of my biggest pet peeves. Most of my drawings have anywhere from two to eight detail views. I always use the "with Leader" option. And I have had to change it from the default every stinking time for 13 years.
Amen
josh
Answers: 11

Unread post by josh »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:42 am . . . and then there's one of my biggest pet peeves. Most of my drawings have anywhere from two to eight detail views. I always use the "with Leader" option. And I have had to change it from the default every stinking time for 13 years.
Easy fix... Just change your base detail view standard to GOST, then manually change every single other option on the page back to whatever your actual standard is... :lol:
image.png
Oh... and then save your overall drafting standard and update all your drawing templates.

I don't understand why SW hides some of the options inside the drafting standard and doesn't let you manually change them...
dave.laban

Unread post by dave.laban »

I find it interesting that the GOST leader is different to the leader you get when you set any other standard to "With Leader" (and I can't see any setting to toggle between underlined vs adjacent leader).
image.png
Glenn Schroeder

josh wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:31 pm Easy fix... Just change your base detail view standard to GOST, then manually change every single other option on the page back to whatever your actual standard is... :lol:

image.png

Oh... and then save your overall drafting standard and update all your drawing templates.

I don't understand why SW hides some of the options inside the drafting standard and doesn't let you manually change them...
Gost gets close, but it has the letter underlined instead of pointing to the center of the letter (which is what you get when you change from "Per Standard" to "With Leader", and what I want).

By the way, I posted the Idea (again) and got a reply that it's existing functionality (see https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... VOW-huOiUA). When I disputed that I got quite a few replies from other users agreeing with me, but nothing from the forum admin that dismissed the Idea. Those people are really starting to piss me off.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:41 am Gost gets close, but it has the letter underlined instead of pointing to the center of the letter (which is what you get when you change from "Per Standard" to "With Leader", and what I want).

By the way, I posted the Idea (again) and got a reply that it's existing functionality (see https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... VOW-huOiUA). When I disputed that I got quite a few replies from other users agreeing with me, but nothing from the forum admin that dismissed the Idea. Those people are really starting to piss me off.
When their help me can't answer the question, they just turn their head around and look for another question, there's plenty of questions to answer so a few unanswered ones doesn't really matter to them, especially since they made sure that activity wouldn't shove ongoing issues in their face if they were to never be adressed.

I still hang on the platform and sometimes come close to posting to help people but I refrain myself because of their lack of responsability and foreseeability.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Everything sink to the bottom and nobody will see it again.
dave.laban

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:41 am Gost gets close, but it has the letter underlined instead of pointing to the center of the letter (which is what you get when you change from "Per Standard" to "With Leader", and what I want).

Just had an email saying this is now available as of 2023 A1 so there's a possibility they're actually right, just not communicating it very well. Will need someone with access to '23 to verify it though.
image.png
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

Really? You must have the patience of Job, Glenn.
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
Glenn Schroeder

DennisD wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:48 am Really? You must have the patience of Job, Glenn.
I've been married for 34 years, to the same woman, so yes.

DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:50 am I've been married for 34 years, to the same woman, so yes.
Congratulations, Glenn!

41 years for me so far. I want another 41.
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
Tera

Unread post by Tera »

dave.laban wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:44 am this is now available as of 2023 A1
a newbie here. What is A1?
thanks.
dave.laban

Alpha 1, so the absolute first iteration of a SW version before it even goes to public Beta testing.
Tera

Unread post by Tera »

dave.laban wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:11 am Alpha 1, so the absolute first iteration of a SW version before it even goes to public Beta testing.
Thanks
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

dave.laban wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:44 am Will need someone with access to '23 to verify it though.
If you can show the bug in Beta, higher chance it'll get fixed.
Glenn Schroeder

dave.laban wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:44 am Just had an email saying this is now available as of 2023 A1 so there's a possibility they're actually right, just not communicating it very well. Will need someone with access to '23 to verify it though.

image.png
I got a reply to my Idea on the other forum yesterday from a SW employee verifying that this has been fixed with SW2023, and she said that it was a late enhancement so it wasn't included in the What's New documentation.

I downloaded it, but can't use it until NIS updates the server, and no one knows how long that might take (note to self; must remain calm; I'm sure they're doing their best).

dave.laban

Just installed SW23 SP0.1 and you can indeed set Detail Views to use "With Leader" in the Document Properties, huzzah!

Unfortunately there's no way of setting any of the parameters in the "Detail View" portion of the Feature Manager in Defaults (one for the TTL) but at least some progress has happened.
image.png
Glenn Schroeder

This just popped up because someone Liked it. I recently learned that this has been fixed with SW2023 (and I tested it this morning, so it's not just a rumor).