SOLIDWORSK Registry Reset Question

zwei
Answers: 18

SOLIDWORSK Registry Reset Question

Unread post by zwei »

How do SOLIDWORKS rebuild its registry when a registry wipe is performed?

We recently have issue with our template path...

I did a registry wipe for SW20 (rename SW20 reg folder to SW20_old) reboot my machine and relaunch SOLIDWORKS
SW20 rebuild the registry folder, however almost all my old template paths is still in the new registry that is being rebuild

I am expecting it start FRESH with all the template path pointing to its default path (eg: under SW default folder) but apparently it is not the case

EDIT: Does having multiple SW version how the registry is rebuild? I just noticed it seems to "COPY" the registry from my SW2019 registry as a few registry (eg: toolbox) is pointing to SW2019 folder..
by JSculley » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:34 am
From S-035651:

========================
When SolidWorks starts it will look for the value of a setting registry key in the following locations and order

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks\SolidWorks n
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks\SolidWorks n-1 (i.e. if n -s 2009m n-1 = 2008)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\SolidWorks\SolidWorks n These values are generated at installation time and represent the default settings for a new user.

In general the selected settings for a session of SolidWorks are written to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks\SolidWorks n when the user exits normally.

By this system when a user starts SOLIDWORKS® they will either use the options set from their last session of the current version of SOLIDWORKS® ; following an upgrade on first run they will use the options selected in the last session of the previous version or SOLIDWORKS® or the default option set by the installation.

This process works on an individual option basis so a user can selectively reset options by deleting individual keys or groups of keys.
=========================
Go to full post
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
JSculley
Answers: 55

Re: SOLIDWORSK Registry Reset Question

Unread post by JSculley »

From S-035651:

========================
When SolidWorks starts it will look for the value of a setting registry key in the following locations and order

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks\SolidWorks n
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks\SolidWorks n-1 (i.e. if n -s 2009m n-1 = 2008)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\SolidWorks\SolidWorks n These values are generated at installation time and represent the default settings for a new user.

In general the selected settings for a session of SolidWorks are written to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks\SolidWorks n when the user exits normally.

By this system when a user starts SOLIDWORKS® they will either use the options set from their last session of the current version of SOLIDWORKS® ; following an upgrade on first run they will use the options selected in the last session of the previous version or SOLIDWORKS® or the default option set by the installation.

This process works on an individual option basis so a user can selectively reset options by deleting individual keys or groups of keys.
=========================