part models opened with assembly or drawing and then left open

bnemec
Answers: 10

part models opened with assembly or drawing and then left open

Unread post by bnemec »

Hello, A behavior that, at first, we thought strange but have gotten used to is when opening an upper level assembly or drawing SW will also open some components contained in somewhere in that assembly structure, usually buried several levels down. And not just load, but actually open in a window then will stay open after closing the top level assembly or drawing. Sometimes there may be a couple dozen part files that are open. I'm assuming SW thinks they need rebuilt and that's why it opening them? But why not just load, why open in a window?

Other people seeing this sometimes or am I a special kind of messed up?

thanks.
AlexB
Answers: 24

Re: part models opened with assembly or drawing and then left open

Unread post by AlexB »

I've seen that only when this pictured setting is set to "Changed Only", "All", or "Prompt" and the user selects the option to open all or changed only.
image.png
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

AlexB wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:06 pm I've seen that only when this pictured setting is set to "Changed Only", "All", or "Prompt" and the user selects the option to open all or changed only.

image.png
Interesting. Is it suggested to not have that set to open all or open changed? Due to mirrored components pulling old data of the other side and some other strange behaviors I've sent out emails telling users to always open all. But it usually doesn't actually open them in window, just "loads" them into memory if I understand correctly.

I keep mine set to prompt because I want to see if it needs updated, I'm usually trouble shooting "strange" behavior where assembly is different for different users or the pdf from PDM task is different.
image.png
Notice, the checkbox "Load documents in memory only"
AlexB
Answers: 24

Unread post by AlexB »

bnemec wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:15 pm Interesting. Is it suggested to not have that set to open all or open changed? Due to mirrored components pulling old data of the other side and some other strange behaviors I've sent out emails telling users to always open all. But it usually doesn't actually open them in window, just "loads" them into memory if I understand correctly.

I keep mine set to prompt because I want to see if it needs updated, I'm usually trouble shooting "strange" behavior where assembly is different for different users or the pdf from PDM task is different.
image.png

Notice, the checkbox "Load documents in memory only"
I typically keep it set to prompt and inform users to open referenced documents in order to make sure the changes loaded are the latest. But, I have seen it open a bunch of stuff and just leave the documents open when trying to work with a very large assembly. I'm not sure if it still does that with smaller assemblies but this is the only scenario I recall this happening.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

AlexB wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:21 pm I typically keep it set to prompt and inform users to open referenced documents in order to make sure the changes loaded are the latest. But, I have seen it open a bunch of stuff and just leave the documents open when trying to work with a very large assembly. I'm not sure if it still does that with smaller assemblies but this is the only scenario I recall this happening.
Sounds the same as us then. Thinking about it I would say it is more common, perhaps only, when opening large assemblies.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Since I updated to SW2023 I've had one Part open up whenever I opened a Drawing or Assembly containing one of my library sub-assemblies. I finally figured out that the Part was inserted into a multi-body Part into one of the assembly parts.

The option that @AlexB showed was set to "Changed only." (I don't know what it was set to with earlier versions.) I changed it to "None." I opened the sub-assembly and the Part file didn't open, so it looks like that fixed it.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:58 am Since I updated to SW2023 I've had one Part open up whenever I opened a Drawing or Assembly containing one of my library sub-assemblies. I finally figured out that the Part was inserted into a multi-body Part into one of the assembly parts.

The option that @AlexB showed was set to "Changed only." (I don't know what it was set to with earlier versions.) I changed it to "None." I opened the sub-assembly and the Part file didn't open, so it looks like that fixed it.
Ok, so what happens if the part file that's inserted into another part file is edited? When you open the assembly that contains the multi-body part (that has the library part inserted), what happens? Do you see the change?

On the users that have that set to none or click none in the dialog prompt mess up our mirrored parts which really causes headaches when the parts are revised. Especially with the dxf task for the mirrored part; it tends to not flatten. There so many variables in play I haven't established the exact workflow that's happening. Knowing users, I'd highly doubt there is an exact set of actions for each case; more like Plinko with only a few of the endpoints providing favorable outcome. I think that's why we've landed on always opening all the references.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

bnemec wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:33 am Ok, so what happens if the part file that's inserted into another part file is edited? When you open the assembly that contains the multi-body part (that has the library part inserted), what happens? Do you see the change?

On the users that have that set to none or click none in the dialog prompt mess up our mirrored parts which really causes headaches when the parts are revised. Especially with the dxf task for the mirrored part; it tends to not flatten. There so many variables in play I haven't established the exact workflow that's happening. Knowing users, I'd highly doubt there is an exact set of actions for each case; more like Plinko with only a few of the endpoints providing favorable outcome. I think that's why we've landed on always opening all the references.
I wish I could tell you, but I don't know. I haven't needed to edit that particular part, and don't anticipate needing to in the future.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:46 am I wish I could tell you, but I don't know. I haven't needed to edit that particular part, and don't anticipate needing to in the future.
I think your use case is why it's an option to not even look at that inserted part? It's one step above breaking the link (which is pretty much a dumb solid import) if I'm understanding correctly?

We live on the other end of the spectrum where "standard parts library" parts are rev controlled AND are revised without revising the entire where used tree.
Alin
Answers: 3

Unread post by Alin »

bnemec wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:43 pm Hello, A behavior that, at first, we thought strange but have gotten used to is when opening an upper level assembly or drawing SW will also open some components contained in somewhere in that assembly structure, usually buried several levels down. And not just load, but actually open in a window then will stay open after closing the top level assembly or drawing. Sometimes there may be a couple dozen part files that are open. I'm assuming SW thinks they need rebuilt and that's why it opening them? But why not just load, why open in a window?

Other people seeing this sometimes or am I a special kind of messed up?

thanks.
You can also ask SW to open them in memory only. Same dialog from the picture above.

"Changed Only" and "Open in Memory" might be the most secure and fast way to address this.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Alin wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:56 am You can also ask SW to open them in memory only. Same dialog from the picture above.

"Changed Only" and "Open in Memory" might be the most secure and fast way to address this.
Have had "Open in Memory" option checked for a couple years maybe since we started with SW, not sure.

I had defaulted to Changed Only and don't show the dialog, but too there's been times when there's still strange behavior in the mirrored part but close the file and re-open choosing "open all referenced files" fixes it.