Missing 5% Functionality - Set custom sheet scale

Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Missing 5% Functionality - Set custom sheet scale

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Hello,

@Alin started a great thread in the old forum for users to discuss where new enhancements were mostly well done, but had one or two aspects that left us scratching our heads thinking "Why?". I have one about the long-requested Drawing enhancement regarding setting custom sheet scales and view scales. They finally made it easier to change the view scale, which is great.

image.png

They also added this nice "User Defined" option to the list at the bottom of the screen.

image.png

However, I'd like to sit down and have a talk with whoever thought it was a good idea to have this box come in with the scale completely empty. When changing the view scale the current scale is there, and highlighted, so you only have to replace a numeral or two instead of typing the whole thing. Why the inconsistency?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I often think the people making decisions on how to implement enhancements have never actually used the software.

image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
KevinC
Answers: 1

Re: Missing 5% Functionality - Set custom sheet scale

Unread post by KevinC »

[quote="Glenn Schroeder" post_id=2774 time=1617709670 user_id=50]
However, I'd like to sit down and have a talk with whoever thought it was a good idea to have this box come in with the scale completely empty. When changing the view scale the current scale is there, and highlighted, so you only have to replace a numeral or two instead of typing the whole thing. Why the inconsistency?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I often think the people making decisions on how to implement enhancements have never actually used the software.

image.png
[/quote]

Plus you have to get the syntax (#:#) correct.

I'd do this dialog with two input boxes with a static text ":" between them, prepopulated with the current scale (as is currently implemented in sheet properties).

Kevin
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

Well said...
This interface is real confusing.

When i first use it, i thought I can just type in [2] and the scale will change to 2:1 but that's not how it work <()>
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:47 am

image.png
What evidence do you have of this claim? Haven't you seen the 3DSwamp?
mattpeneguy

Sooo, shouldn't this be a drop down, where you can select a scale or a "Custom" scale? Trying to think of an example where that's done intuitively...Hmm...
image.png
Glenn Schroeder

mattpeneguy wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:43 am Sooo, shouldn't this be a drop down, where you can select a scale or a "Custom" scale? Trying to think of an example where that's done intuitively...Hmm...
image.png
I'm perfectly happy with the way we can set a custom view scale in the property manager. They finally set it up the way it should have been done years ago. It's the way the option to set a custom sheet scale was implemented that I have a problem with.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

Has anyone else seen issues with sheet borders when the sheet scale is changed? It's super annoying. I guess most things in SWX are annoying, so at least they're being consistent....
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
Glenn Schroeder

mike miller wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:53 am Has anyone else seen issues with sheet borders when the sheet scale is changed? It's super annoying. I guess most things in SWX are annoying, so at least they're being consistent....
I haven't.

mattpeneguy

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:54 am
mattpeneguy wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:43 am Sooo, shouldn't this be a drop down, where you can select a scale or a "Custom" scale? Trying to think of an example where that's done intuitively...Hmm...
image.png
I'm perfectly happy with the way we can set a custom view scale in the property manager. They finally set it up the way it should have been done years ago. It's the way the option to set a custom sheet scale was implemented that I have a problem with.
Jeez, even my sarcasm isn't coming through in purple well enough. I meant they could have used the view scale interface as a template for the sheet scale... View scale works pretty well, I agree...

Hey @matt do you think you could make a "blinking" option for the sarcasm tag?
BTW, what's the new s tag do? Let's find out....Nice, strike-through. Definitely a nice addition, thanks Matt.
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

mattpeneguy wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:17 pm
BTW, what's the new s tag do? Let's find out....Nice, strike-through. Definitely a nice addition, thanks Matt.
Uh, blinking might be too cheesy even for me, but how about Uber Sarcasm? regular sarcasm, and then Uber Sarcasm
mattpeneguy

matt wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:02 pm
mattpeneguy wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:17 pm
Uh, blinking might be too cheesy even for me, but how about Uber Sarcasm? regular sarcasm, and then Uber Sarcasm
I was joking about the blinking...Definitely cheesy and ANNOYING. Now I need to see about changing my default font to that new Uber Sarcasm. Thanks!
Glenn Schroeder

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:47 am . . . However, I'd like to sit down and have a talk with whoever thought it was a good idea to have this box come in with the scale completely empty. When changing the view scale the current scale is there, and highlighted, so you only have to replace a numeral or two instead of typing the whole thing. Why the inconsistency?
I'm happy to report that they fixed the problem discussed above (I'm sorry the screenshots from back then are gone; the server had a case of the hiccups or something, and a bunch of screenshots were lost). Now when you click on the Scale caret in the lower right corner of the screen and select User Defined from the drop-down it comes in like this:

image.png
image.png (3.98 KiB) Viewed 865 times

berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

Is it still f*ing up the labeling for drawings?

I.e. if you change from custom scale 1:10 to sheet scale (which is also 1:10) it keeps the scale in the label etc.....
Glenn Schroeder

berg_lauritz wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:06 pm Is it still f*ing up the labeling for drawings?

I.e. if you change from custom scale 1:10 to sheet scale (which is also 1:10) it keeps the scale in the label etc.....
If you have a note calling out the view scale, and you change the view scale to the sheet scale, the text calling out the view scale does not disappear automatically, if that's what you're asking. Did it ever?

berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:32 pm If you have a note calling out the view scale, and you change the view scale to the sheet scale, the text calling out the view scale does not disappear automatically, if that's what you're asking. Did it ever?
No. I was hoping they fixed that too.