Balloons within drawing view not accepting painted format

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
axlebeans
Answers: 0

Balloons within drawing view not accepting painted format

Unread post by axlebeans »

Hello everyone,
I've been trying to balloon some dimensions for our inspection sheets, and I would like them to be red. The way I find easiest to do this is to make one red and then paint the format to all the other balloons. However, when I try paint the format to a balloon within the square of a drawing view, the color does not change. The strange part is I go into the line color settings for the individual balloons and the non-red ones show their color as red. Is there something i'm missing? If there's an easier solution or an easier way to color all these some input would be much appreciated.
Thank you!
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: Balloons within drawing view not accepting painted format

Unread post by AlexLachance »

axlebeans wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:48 pm Hello everyone,
I've been trying to balloon some dimensions for our inspection sheets, and I would like them to be red. The way I find easiest to do this is to make one red and then paint the format to all the other balloons. However, when I try paint the format to a balloon within the square of a drawing view, the color does not change. The strange part is I go into the line color settings for the individual balloons and the non-red ones show their color as red. Is there something i'm missing? If there's an easier solution or an easier way to color all these some input would be much appreciated.
Thank you!
Have you tried CTRL+R or CTRL+Q afterwards? Sounds like something that's been 95% implemented. Try modifying anything inside it to see if it changes color, like add a REF. to the dimension or something

I've never done something like this but the way you proceed would be the way that I would proceed also. You could perhaps make a note style? Maybe that could do the trick?
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

I'd suggest using Layers. Set up a Layer that's red, apply it to one dimension, and save it as a Style (as @AlexLachance suggested. That will (or at least should) allow you to apply this Style to new or existing dimensions.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
axlebeans

I appreciate the replies and will look into setting up layers and a style for this. My solution now is to place all the balloons outside of drawing views, paint the format for the color, and then move them into place after the fact. This is so far my only work around i've had work, so it must be interacting with the drawing views weirdly.
AlexLachance

axlebeans wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:43 pm I appreciate the replies and will look into setting up layers and a style for this. My solution now is to place all the balloons outside of drawing views, paint the format for the color, and then move them into place after the fact. This is so far my only work around i've had work, so it must be interacting with the drawing views weirdly.
Could you provide some screens axle? It sounds like we might be speaking of different things when refering to balloons.
Glenn Schroeder

AlexLachance wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:49 pm
axlebeans wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:43 pm I appreciate the replies and will look into setting up layers and a style for this. My solution now is to place all the balloons outside of drawing views, paint the format for the color, and then move them into place after the fact. This is so far my only work around i've had work, so it must be interacting with the drawing views weirdly.
Could you provide some screens axle? It sounds like we might be speaking of different things when refering to balloons.
He referred to balloons in dimensions, so I assume this is what he meant.

image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

AlexLachance

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:10 pmHe referred to balloons in dimensions, so I assume this is what he meant.

image.png
It is also what I believe he was refering to at first, but his latest reply saying that he places balloons outside of drawing views, paints them and then move them in place makes me think that he's doing another methodology, maybe even drawing his own 'balloons'
Glenn Schroeder

AlexLachance wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:13 pm
Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:10 pmHe referred to balloons in dimensions, so I assume this is what he meant.

image.png
It is also what I believe he was refering to at first, but his latest reply saying that he places balloons outside of drawing views, paints them and then move them in place makes me think that he's doing another methodology, maybe even drawing his own 'balloons'
I see what you mean. Now I'm really confused.

axlebeans

image.png
hopefully this clears things up. The balloons in question come from the Balloon command under my Annotation tab. I think they're used for BOM usually but we use them to help clear up which dimension is associated to which on the inspection sheet. They seem to act like a normal circular note but I believe it has more linkage to custom properties and when used with a BOM can pull all the balloons into that. I just use them like notes though.
AlexLachance

axlebeans wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:17 pm image.png hopefully this clears things up. The balloons in question come from the Balloon command under my Annotation tab. I think they're used for BOM usually but we use them to help clear up which dimension is associated to which on the inspection sheet. They seem to act like a normal circular note but I believe it has more linkage to custom properties and when used with a BOM can pull all the balloons into that. I just use them like notes though.
Oh, you're refering to part numbering balloons and not dimension balloons or revision balloons.

In that case, pre-created annotations or notestyles would be your best options. We use a somewhat similar thing to call out assembly configurations on certain cases.

Here's an example, while it's not a balloon it's an underlined text attached to the balloons
image.png
Glenn Schroeder

axlebeans wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:17 pm image.png hopefully this clears things up. The balloons in question come from the Balloon command under my Annotation tab. I think they're used for BOM usually but we use them to help clear up which dimension is associated to which on the inspection sheet. They seem to act like a normal circular note but I believe it has more linkage to custom properties and when used with a BOM can pull all the balloons into that. I just use them like notes though.

I seem to remember that someone at the old forum posted a method for changing the color of text inserted into a dimension. I'm not sure, but I think it was @josh. Maybe there's some code to use to put a circle around just the added text and not the dimension? That would allow having all this in one annotation like you want.

AlexLachance

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:20 pm

I seem to remember that someone at the old forum posted a method for changing the color of text inserted into a dimension. I'm not sure, but I think it was @josh. Maybe there's some code to use to put a circle around just the added text and not the dimension? That would allow having all this in one annotation like you want.
It's not text within the dimension, it's a balloon created with information put into it and then set to a specific color. Saved Annotation/Notestyles will achieve what he wants
Glenn Schroeder

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:03 am
Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:20 pm

It's not text within the dimension, it's a balloon created with information put into it and then set to a specific color. Saved Annotation/Notestyles will achieve what he wants
Not if he wants in a dimension, unless I'm mistaken.

AlexLachance

You are correct on that, sir!
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

1. Create a layer for these with the color set in your templates.
  2. Create a note and turn on the circular border.
  3. Put the note on the new layer.
  4. Right click the note and "Add to library"
  5. Put into a user shared library on your network or PDM if you have it.
  6. Drag the note in and edit the value as needed.
image.png
Jason
Roasted By John
Answers: 1

Unread post by Roasted By John »

Good one @jcapriotti Post that in the Tips/Tricks thread
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
axlebeans

jcapriotti wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:07 am
  1. Create a layer for these with the color set in your templates.
  2. Create a note and turn on the circular border.
  3. Put the note on the new layer.
  4. Right click the note and "Add to library"
  5. Put into a user shared library on your network or PDM if you have it.
  6. Drag the note in and edit the value as needed.
image.png
Legend! Been pulling my hair out about trying to figure out these layers. Definitely need more practice on the drawing side
Merovingien

Unread post by Merovingien »

using a block, is not a "tips and tricks" feature, just a very standard feature, to me.

another solution :
Capture3.png
axlebeans

Merovingien wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:25 am using a block, is not a "tips and tricks" feature, just a very standard feature, to me.

another solution :

Capture3.png
This is also a good trick for me. I should mention i'm still within my first few months of using solidworks, so standard features tend to blow my mind sometimes.