PDM Task host without user login

Discuss SolidWorks PDM
Hansjoerg
Answers: 3

PDM Task host without user login

Unread post by Hansjoerg »

I'm trying to set up our task host according to these instructions, so that it processes the tasks again after a reboot, without anyone having to start the PDM first.

I have proceeded as described in the instructions, but the processing of the tasks only works as long as I am logged on to the task host, after a reboot, or even when I log off, all tasks remain in the queue.

How is the Task Host set up for you?
All the "good" news about SWX makes me feel like I'm driving a truck with two trailers straight into a dead end.
AlexB
Answers: 22

Re: PDM Task host without user login

Unread post by AlexB »

Ours is set up to automatically log in to windows after re-start. PDM is set up to automatically log in to our PDM Task user account when the windows user is logged in. So, when the system is restarted, it gets back into PDM without me having to do anything and begins running tasks again.
Hansjoerg

AlexB wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:55 am Ours is set up to automatically log in to windows after re-start.
We have a little difficulty with that. The settings in the registry for the automatic user login are always reset. Probably MS Intunes has its fingers in the pie.

@AlexB: Without a logged in user it didn't work for you either?
All the "good" news about SWX makes me feel like I'm driving a truck with two trailers straight into a dead end.
AlexB
Answers: 22

Unread post by AlexB »

Hansjoerg wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:22 pm @AlexB: Without a logged in user it didn't work for you either?
Correct, without a user actively logged in, it will not work.
Hansjoerg

AlexB wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:13 pm Correct, without a user actively logged in, it will not work.
this is bad! Is there a possibility to run the task processing as a service?
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Hansjoerg wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:42 pm this is bad! Is there a possibility to run the task processing as a service?
Nope. Need a user to be logged into the vault for tasks to be sent to that task host machine.

I agree, it's not good because someone must either go log in to the task host machine whenever it restarts (consider the inevitable Windows update the night before Admin takes a week vacation). The alternative is some mechanism that logs in a user after restart/boot, which is an inherent security risk. Pick your poison.

So far we have been using the manual log in option and I keep an eye on the machine to run the windows update before MS does it automatically for me.