Copy with mates

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
Jim Steinmeyer
Answers: 0

Copy with mates

Unread post by Jim Steinmeyer »

I just came across a new need when doing copy with mates and thought I would see if anyone knows if there is a way of doing this.
I have a gusset at the top of a suspension hanger. It is located with the outer face of the gusset inline with the left side rib of the hanger. I would like to add a second hanger to the other side of the hanger, and since there are a few hangers it is quick to just copy with mates. The problem is that while mates 1 and 2 are what I want, mate 3 is on the wrong side of the gusset. I know I can flip mates, but that won't get what I need.
The quick work around is to just place the part, delete mate 3 and create a new one. No big deal I was just wondering if there is a way to not place mate 3 at all so I don't have to delete it? Probably not worth it but I was just thinking while placing the parts. Ya, I know a dangerous practice.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
by AlexLachance » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:09 pm
Jim Steinmeyer wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:59 pm I just came across a new need when doing copy with mates and thought I would see if anyone knows if there is a way of doing this.
I have a gusset at the top of a suspension hanger. It is located with the outer face of the gusset inline with the left side rib of the hanger. I would like to add a second hanger to the other side of the hanger, and since there are a few hangers it is quick to just copy with mates. The problem is that while mates 1 and 2 are what I want, mate 3 is on the wrong side of the gusset. I know I can flip mates, but that won't get what I need.
The quick work around is to just place the part, delete mate 3 and create a new one. No big deal I was just wondering if there is a way to not place mate 3 at all so I don't have to delete it? Probably not worth it but I was just thinking while placing the parts. Ya, I know a dangerous practice.
Hey Jim,

In the quickmate panel, if you click on the mate icon of the one you would like ignored, you won't have to give a selection. That should answer your needs!

1st and 2nd turned on, 3rd turned off by clicking on it:
image.png
Go to full post
MJuric
Answers: 1

Re: Copy with mates

Unread post by MJuric »

Jim Steinmeyer wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:59 pm No big deal I was just wondering if there is a way to not place mate 3 at all so I don't have to delete it? Probably not worth it but I was just thinking while placing the parts. Ya, I know a dangerous practice.
Any mate that you don't select something for is not mated. If you click the check mark it will only allow you to use the mates from the previously placed part.

So if I were doing this. I would "Copy mate" and place parts where all three mates are used. Then place one where the 3rd is not used and then place all those parts.

Going from memory so that may be a complete lie but that's the way I think it works.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

Would it be simpler to mirror the first gusset about the center plane of the bracket?
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

SPerman wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:22 pm Would it be simpler to mirror the first gusset about the center plane of the bracket?
Generally, assembly features I avoid, especially mirrors if possible. And especially if other parts need to be mated to those mirrored instances. It creates several layers of rebuilds that ultimately ends up with rebuild errors later.

There is also a "Symmetric" mate that can used so the design intent doesn't have to be repeated and maintained.
Jason
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Jim Steinmeyer wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:59 pm I just came across a new need when doing copy with mates and thought I would see if anyone knows if there is a way of doing this.
Hey Jim,

In the quickmate panel, if you click on the mate icon of the one you would like ignored, you won't have to give a selection. That should answer your needs!

image.png
Jim Steinmeyer

SPerman wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:22 pm Would it be simpler to mirror the first gusset about the center plane of the bracket?
It could be, except I would have to dig into the tree and locate the center plane, if whoever modeled the part had created it with a true center plane. In reality, the workaround was easy enough that it took less time than typing the question, this time. I was more interested in the answer should I run into a similar need where the workaround isn't as rapid and simple.
Jim Steinmeyer

AlexLachance wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:09 pm
Hey Jim,

image.png
Thank you Alex. This is exactly what I was wondering about. I thought I had tried that without any success, but I just did it again and it worked just the way I wanted it to. oa oa

Thank you

Jim
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

Annnddd this is exactly what a user forum should be! A community of users that help and enhance each other's skills. Bravo!

Easily.

Intuitively.
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

DennisD wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:34 pm Annnddd this is exactly what a user forum should be! A community of users that help and enhance each other's skills. Bravo!

Easily.

Intuitively.
Slat your mouth, @DennisD . Away with this rational thinking! We need flash, glitter, and smooth scrolling! Content is a relic of the medieval past......
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39