Dropping Solidworks Support

Bradfordzzz
Answers: 0

Dropping Solidworks Support

Unread post by Bradfordzzz »

OK .... So we have decided to drop Solidworks Support altogether.

Question I have is ....

We are currently using SW 2022 SP5
I know we can go to SW2023 SP5
and I think by the time our support expires, I would be able to get SW2024 SP4

If I don't upgrade before my support expires ... am I still entitled to the latest version up until that point?

Any opinions on which of those are the most stable version?
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: Dropping Solidworks Support

Unread post by AlexLachance »

You are entitled to the latest version up until 2024 SP4, but must download it before the expiration. After the subscription expires, you cannot download anything anymore.
Bradfordzzz

AlexLachance wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 10:28 am You are entitled to the latest version up until 2024 SP4, but must download it before the expiration. After the subscription expires, you cannot download anything anymore.
Thanks Alex,

I'll make sure I download all versions in that case. Good to know!

Any thoughts on stability of current version safe to be running?
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Bradfordzzz wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 10:33 am Thanks Alex,

I'll make sure I download all versions in that case. Good to know!

Any thoughts on stability of current version safe to be running?
We're still on 2023 SP4 as we haven't had the time to move to 2024. I've read a few good things about 2024 but I read a bunch of things that make me cringe. I think @Glenn Schroeder may be able to list a few of them.
Bradfordzzz

Thats exactly why I am so hesitant. I got burned before in a very big way.
at least with the 2022 SP5 ... its the devil we know.
len_1962
Answers: 1

Unread post by len_1962 »

like with any software YOU NEVER KNOW!

I would download every SP that way you'll have them if one is more stable than another in the future.
Bradfordzzz

len_1962 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 11:33 am like with any software YOU NEVER KNOW!

I would download every SP that way you'll have them if one is more stable than another in the future.
Agree completely
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 23

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

AlexLachance wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 10:40 am We're still on 2023 SP4 as we haven't had the time to move to 2024. I've read a few good things about 2024 but I read a bunch of things that make me cringe. I think @Glenn Schroeder may be able to list a few of them.
There are a few things I am/was unhappy with. One was the "Units" drop-down in the Custom Properties table. I had no use for it, and the only thing it did for me was get in the way and slow me down. I am happy to report that it was removed with SW2024 sp 3.

Another one was the way they "fixed" re-attaching dangling dimensions. Instead of grabbing the end of the extension line and dropping it on the new reference, as we did in the past (which worked sometimes, and sometimes not), you right-click on the dimension and select "Re-attach" from the dropdown and then click on the new reference. That seems to work fair, but there were unintended consequences. When you do that, SW doesn't always select the one you want to reattach, and I haven't found a way to switch to the other one.

And if that isn't bad enough, in the process of making that change, they removed the ability to click on the end of the extension line and make it longer or shorter. I reached out to my VAR, and they sent it up the line. It has been acknowledged as a bug, but so far it hasn't been fixed.

Those are the only issues I can think of. If others pop up I will try to remember to reply back.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
gristle

Unread post by gristle »

The first time I dropped support, it was midway through the 2017 cycle, maybe SP3. I did manage to get SP5 via one of the resellers who has the installers available online. SP5 installed fine, even after being told during install that I did not qualify as support had stopped before the SP was released.
I do not know if this was a once-off (or twice-off) oddity, but I did manage to install the SP twice as I moved to another PC.
Cheers, Andrew Jackson.
Bradfordzzz

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 3:16 pm There are a few things I am/was unhappy with. One was the "Units" drop-down in the Custom Properties table. I had no use for it, and the only thing it did for me was get in the way and slow me down. I am happy to report that it was removed with SW2024 sp 3.

Another one was the way they "fixed" re-attaching dangling dimensions. Instead of grabbing the end of the extension line and dropping it on the new reference, as we did in the past (which worked sometimes, and sometimes not), you right-click on the dimension and select "Re-attach" from the dropdown and then click on the new reference. That seems to work fair, but there were unintended consequences. When you do that, SW doesn't always select the one you want to reattach, and I haven't found a way to switch to the other one.

And if that isn't bad enough, in the process of making that change, they removed the ability to click on the end of the extension line and make it longer or shorter. I reached out to my VAR, and they sent it up the line. It has been acknowledged as a bug, but so far it hasn't been fixed.

Those are the only issues I can think of. If others pop up I will try to remember to reply back.
Well these definitely aren't deal breakers for us! Thanks Glenn. Appreciate the feedback.
Bradfordzzz

gristle wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 5:46 pm The first time I dropped support, it was midway through the 2017 cycle, maybe SP3. I did manage to get SP5 via one of the resellers who has the installers available online. SP5 installed fine, even after being told during install that I did not qualify as support had stopped before the SP was released.
I do not know if this was a once-off (or twice-off) oddity, but I did manage to install the SP twice as I moved to another PC.
I doubt we will be that lucky. When it comes to Solidworks, and our current reseller, we always seem to get the short end of the stick.
Damo

Unread post by Damo »

Bradfordzzz wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 10:57 am Thats exactly why I am so hesitant. I got burned before in a very big way.
at least with the 2022 SP5 ... its the devil we know.
This is the version I am running atm and I don't hate it.
IMHO it is probably the most stable since 2104 SP5. Although, a special mention for 2016, it wasnt too bad.

I have installled 2024 but as yet I do not use it for anything "mission critical".
I too have been burned. 2019 was not good for me. And 2021 was a literal dumpster fire that burned everything. (I almost quit.!!)

Download everything you like, right up until the day of your subs expiry.

Good luck.
mp3-250
Answers: 20

Unread post by mp3-250 »

2022 and 2023 have some very annoying, productivity killer bugs.
you need to download quite a lot of hotfix patches as well otherwise there are some parts of SW that simply do not work anymore...

if you are using PDM there are even more bugs I would gamble on 2024...
Bradfordzzz

Thanks guys. Appreciate the input.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I was off subscription for about a year. During that time I needed to rebuild a computer and didn't have a full set of installation media. When I contacted the VAR, they provided the installation files.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Bradfordzzz

SPerman wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 7:59 am I was off subscription for about a year. During that time I needed to rebuild a computer and didn't have a full set of installation media. When I contacted the VAR, they provided the installation files.
Really good to know. Thanks!
TTevolve
Answers: 3

Unread post by TTevolve »

I got the 2024 full install download from our VAR, they have them on their support website.