Open Sketch Contours?

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
Ballfreak10
Answers: 0

Open Sketch Contours?

Unread post by Ballfreak10 »

Hi all,

In the attached file, SW is telling me that my sketch "SKETCH Middle Hole" has multiple open contours. Yet I can't find any upon inspecting, primarily because it's a fairly detailed sketch. It's also worth noting that I made this symmetric sketch by creating half and then doing a mirror of everything.

All help is appreciated, though especially those comments with screenshots - I'm a very visual learner ;)!

Thanks in advance,
Attachments
Interior_Back.SLDPRT
(72.06 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: Open Sketch Contours?

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Hey Ball,

There's a geometry check tool that you can use for sketches that should help you find these
http://help.solidworks.com/2020/english ... ostics.htm

Edit: here's some screen. I added a line over another line.
image.png
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

There are a lot of problems with the sketch.

- non-tangency and unconstrained lines
image.png

- overlapping lines

image.png
image.png (10.65 KiB) Viewed 4015 times

I would recommend leaving the sketch fillets out, and placing them as fillet features later on. Tangent arcs are one of the biggest problems in SW sketching. All of your problems here are related to tangent arcs. Some you can avoid, some you can't.

You have to be precise with sketches, and you should always have them locked to something that won't move either with a dimension or a sketch relation.
Ballfreak10
Answers: 0

Unread post by Ballfreak10 »

I'm having a hard time interpreting what the feature checker is telling me.

I took screenshots, but for some reason I can't paste them here into my comment...

Could anyone possibly help me interpret what it's saying :)? The descriptions honestly seem completely unrelated to what it highlights...
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Ballfreak10 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:31 am I'm having a hard time interpreting what the feature checker is telling me.

I took screenshots, but for some reason I can't paste them here into my comment...

Could anyone possibly help me interpret what it's saying :)? The descriptions honestly seem completely unrelated to what it highlights...
You have to click on the "Full Editor & Preview" button, then it will let you post screenshots.

image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"