Extruded Cut - "Failed To Merge Bodies"?

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
Ballfreak10
Answers: 0

Extruded Cut - "Failed To Merge Bodies"?

Unread post by Ballfreak10 »

Hi all,

In the attached file, I'm trying to create a cut feature. Specifically, I'm looking to use the sketch "SKETCH Cut" to make a cut, up to surface, to "Cut Plane". I also only want the four outer contours selected, as shown in the screenshot. However, when I try this, I get the error in the screenshot.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this? All help is appreciated :)!

Thanks in advance,

image.png
Attachments
Lead Button.SLDPRT
(87.16 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
by Glenn Schroeder » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:11 pm
When I tried the Extruded Cut without selecting contours I got this message,

image.png

which led me to believe there was something wrong with the sketch, and probably overlapping lines. Rather than trying to track it down I decided on another workflow. I edited the sketch, deleted all the exterior lines, and added relations to fully define the sketch.

image.png

Then I selected the "Flip side to cut" option in the Extruded Cut's property manager and it worked just fine.

image.png
image.png
Go to full post
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Re: Extruded Cut - "Failed To Merge Bodies"?

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

When I tried the Extruded Cut without selecting contours I got this message,

image.png

which led me to believe there was something wrong with the sketch, and probably overlapping lines. Rather than trying to track it down I decided on another workflow. I edited the sketch, deleted all the exterior lines, and added relations to fully define the sketch.

image.png

Then I selected the "Flip side to cut" option in the Extruded Cut's property manager and it worked just fine.

image.png
image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

There are several problems.
The cut sketch has multiple intersecting profiles. If you only want to use the outer profile, why do you have an inner one? Wouldn't one be better? Actually, what's the purpose of the cut in the first place if you're going to remove the body you just made?
Also, the tree is very convoluted. It could be done with three features (or one, if you're doing what I think you are), and no extra planes. This doesn't hurt now, but it will later.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

Ballfreak10 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:34 pm Hi all,

In the attached file, I'm trying to create a cut feature. Specifically, I'm looking to use the sketch "SKETCH Cut" to make a cut, up to surface, to "Cut Plane". I also only want the four outer contours selected, as shown in the screenshot. However, when I try this, I get the error in the screenshot.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this? All help is appreciated :)!

Thanks in advance,

image.png
You have to learn how to make sketches that the software likes. It wants to see sketches where the action (cut or extrude or whatever) is performed by the solid lines, and anything else is the centerline/construction line type.

Also, it wants to see single closed loops of sketch entities that touch end-to-end without gaps or overlaps.

And a third thing it wants is for no infinitely thin knife edges. If you cut the canoe shape out of the block, in the middle of the block are two edges that are 0 thickness. In this case it works, but it may be giving you something you don't expect to see (the two bodies are cut into 8 bodies).
image.png
image.png
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

It is often quicker and easier to just create the geometry from scratch and 'get 'er done.

But, I also think there's a value in learning how to fix the problem, even though sometimes it takes more time, because one day you are going to discover a broken sketch at the top of the feature tree that you have to fix without deleting. So, @Ballfreak10 I recommend you try fixing your sketch with "Repair Sketch":
image.png