Custom property used as component description

JuTu
Answers: 1

Custom property used as component description

Unread post by JuTu »

Hello!

We are upgrading from SW2018 to SW2020 and I found this wonderful option.

Is there anyone aware whether it is possible to compile one custom property from a two or more other custom properties that are read (or written) by PDM?

I tried some what of an expression as in the pic below
kuva.png

Code: Select all

$prp:"ITEM_CODE" > $prp:"ITEM_DESC1" > $prp:"ITEM_DESC2"
and in Summary Information dialog box Evaluated value was correct. Just like I imagined it would be but if I chose to use this new formulated Custom Property as a Component Description the shown value in featuretree would be the formulated expression. Not the Evaluated Value :|

Could there be an easy workaround or is my formula correct at all?

I got so excited about this new features since then I could skip all our filenames and READ what the part or assy is...! From the featuremanager instead lottery numbers and guessing...

EDIT: I realized that there is a difference with $prp and $PRP... but still the outcome is the same. Formulated expression in FeatureTree.
Sincerely,
JuTu
Answers: 18

Re: Custom property used as component description

Unread post by zwei »

If i recall correctly, the feature tree will not evaluate the custom property.
Whatever value entered will be treated as text...

Since you mention you are using PDM, can this be done at PDM and push to SOLIDWORKS instead?
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
Rob
Answers: 2

Unread post by Rob »

It works for me in 2018 - I seem to recall a post in the old place where this is a new bug maybe
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

JuTu wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:49 am Hello!

We are upgrading from SW2018 to SW2020 and I found this wonderful option.

Is there anyone aware whether it is possible to compile one custom property from a two or more other custom properties that are read (or written) by PDM?

I tried some what of an expression as in the pic below
kuva.png

Code: Select all

$prp:"ITEM_CODE" > $prp:"ITEM_DESC1" > $prp:"ITEM_DESC2"
and in Summary Information dialog box Evaluated value was correct. Just like I imagined it would be but if I chose to use this new formulated Custom Property as a Component Description the shown value in featuretree would be the formulated expression. Not the Evaluated Value :|

Could there be an easy workaround or is my formula correct at all?

I got so excited about this new features since then I could skip all our filenames and READ what the part or assy is...! From the featuremanager instead lottery numbers and guessing...

EDIT: I realized that there is a difference with $prp and $PRP... but still the outcome is the same. Formulated expression in FeatureTree.
Not a big PDM guy but it is my understanding that you can write to or read from PDM most custom properties. You can definitely compile custom properties. We do this with all our weldments where the cultist name is a compilation of the cust list name and the part number. Seems like you would then be able to take the evaluated property and write it to the PDM.
JuTu

Unread post by JuTu »

Okei. Thanks guys! I'll ask our PDM-admin whether we have PDM attributes enabled or what's the situation. Or I'll have him either ask the company or give me a name whom I can ask myself :)

EDIT: Nah... It seems that for some reason we don't have attributes enabled in our PDM even though there clearly is options and panels for them.

Yup, we don't use Solidworks native PDM. But, he seemed interested to investigate the thing so maybe in future I get to fool around with attributes.

><
Sincerely,
JuTu