Colors of Joined Parts

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
VTmechie
Answers: 0

Colors of Joined Parts

Unread post by VTmechie »

Is there a way for joined parts to keep their original colors?
joined parts1.jpg
joined parts2.jpg
matt
Answers: 18

Re: Colors of Joined Parts

Unread post by matt »

Might work if you had changed the colors to the faces instead of bodies or features. You can mass select faces pretty easily, with a box select with the Face filter on (I think it's X by default).
VTmechie

Unread post by VTmechie »

I tried that.... didn't work.

The colors might seem trivial but I need the colors to stay for a complex joined part with repeated parts. With an analysis in comsol that allows you to mass-select surfaces by color.
matt

Unread post by matt »

VTmechie wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:56 pm I tried that.... didn't work.

The colors might seem trivial but I need the colors to stay for a complex joined part with repeated parts. With an analysis in comsol that allows you to mass-select surfaces by color.
It doesn't work in the assembly, but it works if you're doing multibody in a single part.
RichGergely

Unread post by RichGergely »

I have to do something similar for client who uses Rhino, they have Solidworks and Powermill/shape software but for some reason only use Rhino in that department.

So colours can be selected for layers in Rhino, that is all fine, make all the parts different colours. What doesn't seem to work for them is multiple colours in a single part.
For example if I highlight a surface on a part and colour it red to indicate it has changed the feedback I get is it doesn't translate. Step 214 should keep appearances so am never sure is it something the client is doing wrong on the import.
JSculley
Answers: 55

Unread post by JSculley »

VTmechie wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:59 pm Is there a way for joined parts to keep their original colors?
SPR 724754: Adding two bodies/part to create a new body/part should not loose body/part color properties
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

If you combine bodies, it will remove all appearance
If you knit surface, it will preserve all appearance

If you are familiar with surfacing, maybe you could try offsetting, apply the appearance to the feature, trim and knit them.
You can show only one body, click Edit → Select All to select all surface of the body

Might not work if the bodies is really complex though...

It will be great if they can implement something like Preserve Appearance into combine setting :D
Attachments
image.png
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.