Hole Pattern

Bryan O
Answers: 1

Hole Pattern

Unread post by Bryan O »

Hole patterns are my life. I've asked similar questions (equation driven patterns)
I thought I would throw this out there and see how others would handle this.

I would like to place a hole pattern that would be symmetrical about 1 axis and asymmetrical about another.
I would also like the count to change per configuration (based on length).

My current approach is to use line segment. It's clean but that is not configurable (as far as I know)
This would have me creating a feature for each configuration.

Another approach is a pattern but this would also not allow me to create a symmetry (again as far as I know)

I suppose I could create 1/2 or 1/4 based models but I'm not a fan of additional mirrors.

Take a look at the attach model as a basis.
I'm just looking for onions and suggestion.
Attachments
Pattern.SLDPRT
(89.66 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
matt
Answers: 18

Re: Hole Pattern

Unread post by matt »

Why would you not be a fan of mirror features? If you use Mirror Body, the performance is better than patterns, I think, especially for a large number of holes.

The configurable count kind of leaves out sketch driven patterns (unless you used different pattern features or added some Delete Face features to get rid of some of the holes.)

For the ones where you can use sketch driven patterns, it might be more compact to use Hole Wizard placement sketches instead of separate pattern features.
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

Bryan O wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:58 am Hole patterns are my life. I've asked similar questions (equation driven patterns)
I thought I would throw this out there and see how others would handle this.

I would like to place a hole pattern that would be symmetrical about 1 axis and asymmetrical about another.
I would also like the count to change per configuration (based on length).

My current approach is to use line segment. It's clean but that is not configurable (as far as I know)
This would have me creating a feature for each configuration.

Another approach is a pattern but this would also not allow me to create a symmetry (again as far as I know)

I suppose I could create 1/2 or 1/4 based models but I'm not a fan of additional mirrors.

Take a look at the attach model as a basis.
I'm just looking for onions and suggestion.
I've not tried it on your particular situation but I'm wondering if you can do this with equations and arrays? I did a little test and you can make the location of the first hole that is used for an array, later in the tree, equal to half the array distance, which centers it.

Expand the equation a bit further, multiplying by qty in the array etc, and you could come up with the center or offset you want for the pattern array.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Doesn't your old post cover this situation with a pattern and equations?

https://cadforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=348
Unfortunately the images got lost in the great image corruption of '21
Jason
Maha Nadarasa

Unread post by Maha Nadarasa »

@Bryan O

Once you began to use SWX there is no talk about fan/not fan of a features. Because profit making is the criteria for companies. So that you have to find out fast and easiest way to make a model.

Only thing is you have to avoid Model Modifying features (Flex, Form) as far as possible.
Bryan O

Unread post by Bryan O »

jcapriotti wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:31 pm Doesn't your old post cover this situation with a pattern and equations?

https://cadforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=348
Unfortunately the images got lost in the great image corruption of '21
I got it to go! Now it's a matter of implementing it!
Attachments
Pattern.SLDPRT
(58.28 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
sergio.monti

Unread post by sergio.monti »

Hi Brian O, you can use 2 linear patterns, one for the 4 holes in the corners and another one for the side holes. Then use 'Up to reference' to the end point of the sketch line.
Length of sketch line will follow part dimension therefore you can use same features and patterns in both configurations by configuring number of instances.
image.png
I share part file but unfortunately I'm using SW2020.
Attachments
Pattern_Sergio.SLDPRT
(351.21 KiB) Downloaded 52 times