VERY slow file check-in, just for me!

Discuss SolidWorks PDM
Esprit
Answers: 1

VERY slow file check-in, just for me!

Unread post by Esprit »

Hi All,

I'm having an issue with SW PDM (SW2021) whereby if I go to check in a file, there's about a 90 second delay between clicking on "check in" and the check-in dialog box popping up. I had been working on some big models and thought that this was the cause but after rebooting a few times this issue is still present. This behaviour also happens in the Windows Explorer PDM interface even without SW open, and it also happens regardless of the complexity of the file you're checking in.

The bizarre points are as follows:

- This only happens when I'm either checking in files or undoing a check-out (ie, working with a file I have permission to use). Checking the file out in the first place is fine.

- Other PDM users on this vault are not having the same issue.

- I'm not experiencing this issue when I'm logged onto other workstations.

- Other users don't get the same issue on my workstation when they're logged in.

So this seems to be an issue related to my workstation, and only when I'm logged into the PDM. It's like there's a cache that's full or something, or some corrupt file that's getting in the way of things.

I'm about to try a repair install to see if that fixes it, but has anyone else got any things I can try? During my work day I check in about 100 files a day. At 1.5 minutes per check-in, that's a good chunk of my workday gone!

Thanks,

George.
by Esprit » Tue May 25, 2021 6:27 pm
I got to the bottom of it.

Elsewhere in the vault, I had a couple of large assemblies that hadn't been checked in (folders had been created, but hadn't yet been had their initial check in). I checked them all in (as I was preparing to delete and regenerate my vault view), and they took an age to check in for some reason. However, now they're checked in the system is running as normal.

Only thing I can think of is these assemblies were old (Modelled in SW2010) and because they were checked out, every time I was checking other files in it was likely scanning through these files for references or something and hanging because they were older files.

Long story short, now they're checked in, they seem to be operating fine. I'll probably check them all out again at some point and do an update so they're 2021 files, but for now the issue is solved.
Go to full post
matt
Answers: 18

Re: VERY slow file check-in, just for me!

Unread post by matt »

Maybe clear out the local PDM cache.
Esprit

Unread post by Esprit »

matt wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:12 pm Maybe clear out the local PDM cache.
I tried this on my main folders, but I'll try a cache flush on the entire vault/PDM.
Esprit

Unread post by Esprit »

I got to the bottom of it.

Elsewhere in the vault, I had a couple of large assemblies that hadn't been checked in (folders had been created, but hadn't yet been had their initial check in). I checked them all in (as I was preparing to delete and regenerate my vault view), and they took an age to check in for some reason. However, now they're checked in the system is running as normal.

Only thing I can think of is these assemblies were old (Modelled in SW2010) and because they were checked out, every time I was checking other files in it was likely scanning through these files for references or something and hanging because they were older files.

Long story short, now they're checked in, they seem to be operating fine. I'll probably check them all out again at some point and do an update so they're 2021 files, but for now the issue is solved.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Perhaps some sort of caching issue but checking in a file should not scan other unrelated checked out files normally.

In the past there has been delays with checkin/out and transitions in folders with too many files. Once you went over 2000 files, it started to really slow down. Supposedly they fixed it but we had already reorganized our vault to avoid have so many files in one folder, so I can't verify.

If most of those not yet checked in files were in one folder, I could see this maybe affecting you. Files added to a folder are silently added to the vault, even though other users don't see them. So it could refreshing the folder in the background.
Jason