Finding an Excel equation (needle) in a design table in library parts (haystack)

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
Tom G
Answers: 0

Finding an Excel equation (needle) in a design table in library parts (haystack)

Unread post by Tom G »

I had some components, configured by size and material. I made these from scratch long ago, using design tables to interpret cutsheet dimension tables. They're plastic pipe fittings. They used to explode randomly, with errors in the features to destroy the faces and bodies to which things were mated to in the assemblies. About a couple of years ago, @Roasted By John inspected my part, and taught me to not use equations within the Excel design table. For example, I had some dimensions entered as, "=15/16" instead of its numerical value 0.9375 . I repaired the elbow with explicit numerical values in its design table, and it has remained stable. Now I'm encountering similar with the Bulkhead, and I was able to remove the equations. It leads me to ask..

Is there any way to locate which components among my library have this flaw inside their design table? It seems awfully granular, and I'd have no idea where to search for that other than to inspect everything individually.

Could I even sort out only the components WITH a design table, so that I'd at least have a smaller subset from which to inspect manually?
(Once I have a design table open in Excel, I can then search for = and find cells with an equation.)

Or, I could just wait for other things to explode and investigate those per instance.

Thank you for any guidance input.
by JSculley » Fri May 28, 2021 8:00 am
I use equations extensively in design tables. I've never had a problem, even when using more advanced functions like VLOOKUP.

Having said that, the Document Manager API can be used to detect design tables in files without having to open them in SOLIDWORKS.
image.png
image.png
The catch is that to use the Document Manager API, you will have to request a document manager API key (free of charge for internal use) and then with a macro, you can check all the files in a directory and such.
Go to full post
josh
Answers: 11

Re: Finding an Excel equation (needle) in a design table in library parts (haystack)

Unread post by josh »

I don't believe there's a way to find out if a file has a design table without opening it in SolidWorks. A macro could probably do it fairly quickly running in the background.
Merovingien

Re: Finding an Excel equation (needle) in a design table in library parts (haystack)

Unread post by Merovingien »

you can create a temporary ASM,
use the panel on the right(Library) to drag-and-drop one time each PRT-Library (plastic pipe fitting)

then try a "rebuild" or "force rebuilt" and see which file get an rebuild-error ?
JSculley
Answers: 55

Unread post by JSculley »

I use equations extensively in design tables. I've never had a problem, even when using more advanced functions like VLOOKUP.

Having said that, the Document Manager API can be used to detect design tables in files without having to open them in SOLIDWORKS.
image.png
image.png
The catch is that to use the Document Manager API, you will have to request a document manager API key (free of charge for internal use) and then with a macro, you can check all the files in a directory and such.