Will this laptop support SolidWorks?

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
mwbridgwater
Answers: 0

Will this laptop support SolidWorks?

Unread post by mwbridgwater »

I thought I would buy one of these HP laptops but want to be sure it has the graphics capability to run SolidWorks. Would you guys please check out the specs and tell me what you think?

https://www.hsn.com/products/hp-173-tou ... 5/20124738
matt
Answers: 18

Re: Will this laptop support SolidWorks?

Unread post by matt »

Simple stuff only. Low ram and Intel video. Low grade processor. You can't expect much for that price point.
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

It all depends on what you are trying to do with SOLIDWORKS

I had used a low end laptop (i5 4gb ram) for SOLIDWORKS during my uni time and there isnt much issue for simple stuff, but if you require intense modelling / simulation you might want to invest in a higher end laptop (higher end processer, 8~16gb ram (more if you are focusing more on simulation), certified graphic card)
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
MJuric
Answers: 1

Unread post by MJuric »

mwbridgwater wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:29 pm I thought I would buy one of these HP laptops but want to be sure it has the graphics capability to run SolidWorks. Would you guys please check out the specs and tell me what you think?

That system also comes with Windows 10 Home which does not support Solidworks so no it will not run Soliworks right out of the box. You would have to upgrade or re-install the OS to Pro.

As others have noted "Will it run Solidworks" vs "Will it be useable for much" are two different questions. Once you installed Windows 10 Pro it will probably run Solidworks, but doing anything much other than single parts, blocks etc would become painfully slow pretty quickly.
MJuric
Answers: 1

Unread post by MJuric »

mwbridgwater wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:29 pm I thought I would buy one of these HP laptops but want to be sure it has the graphics capability to run SolidWorks. Would you guys please check out the specs and tell me what you think?

I was just looking at NewEgg....and unless you absolutely had to buy something I don't think I would be buying anything related to a CPU, GPU or any other part of a piece of electronics these days.

Prices across the board are absolutely ridiculous. Starting price for a decent low end laptop is pretty much $1600+. These same systems would have been sub $1K 8 months ago. If you can wait until the supply chain catches up, the flood of "Free money" from everywhere subsides and people end up working for their money again....prices are going to fall thru the floor.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

I'm using Dell E7240, 4th Gen i7, Intel HD 4400, 16GB RAM SSD
Not really much slower than the Desktop at work with AMD Ryzen 7, GTX1070
Have been using it since SW 2017 to 2021 SP3
Usually less than 1000 parts assembly
Imported customer model
FEA