Stopping SW from opening and rebuilding

Here we have answers to common questions about SolidWorks. If you want to request or contribute answers, just flag down a moderator.
lilbat
Answers: 0

Stopping SW from opening and rebuilding

Unread post by lilbat »

Good day forum,

I have an assembly which is laggy as f*ck. I have around 600 parts that are made in context (no subassembly).
Let's say i enter a sketch (while in the assembly), and i immediatly exit the sketch without doing any changes. I am greeted with a loading of 5 minutes. Now i do the same thing but i'm not in the context of the assembly, i only have that single part on my screen. The loading time is now reasonable.
Pretty much the same thing happen if i suppress, fix or do any other basic action.

I work in the lightweight mode, and i have suspended the automatic rebuild.

I think i know why SW does this. While waiting in the 5 min loading time, on the bottom left corner of my screen it says "reconstructing. Please wait" or he opens some part of the assembly. Even though i have suspended the automatic rebuild.

How can i tell SW "Just don't mind the other parts, just deal with that one particular part and not the other" (basically preventing SW from rebuilding or opening other parts in the assembly)? I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks

I'm on SW 2019
zxys001
Answers: 4

Re: Stopping SW from opening and rebuilding

Unread post by zxys001 »

Feel your pain.
I don't know "why" SW does what it does.
There is no rhyme or reason, imho.
I typically do Master Models (no assembly) with >500 features, >50 Surfaces and >50 Solids,..rebuild is about >50 seconds,.. and what's really a pita,.. deleting a sketch/plane or a offset surface which has NO parent/child and the Whole entire model rebuilds..... so much fun.
Sadly, it happens all the time and makes no friggin sense,.. imho,.. I sum it up to poor programming.
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

I am not sure will this help, but you can give this macro a try
https://www.codestack.net/solidworks-ap ... d-rebuild/

It work pretty well for me in the past, I could suspend the rebuild, edit multiple sketch, unsuspend rebuild and rebuilt the part...
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
lilbat

Unread post by lilbat »

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:10 am I am not sure will this help, but you can give this macro a try
https://www.codestack.net/solidworks-ap ... d-rebuild/

It work pretty well for me in the past, I could suspend the rebuild, edit multiple sketch, unsuspend rebuild and rebuilt the part...
Thanks for the reply. Sadly i never used a macro before. Do you have a link to a quick tutorial so i don't make any crappy mistake? Also i need to suspend the rebuild for all the parts of the assembly, not a single part.

Right now i'm trying to create new subassemblies. I've tested this method before, i hope it will work.
lilbat

Unread post by lilbat »

zxys001 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:45 pm Feel your pain.
I typically do Master Models (no assembly) with >500 features, >50 Surfaces and >50 Solids,..rebuild is about >50 seconds,.. and what's really a pita,.. deleting a sketch/plane or a offset surface which has NO parent/child and the Whole entire model rebuilds..... so much fun.
Sadly, it happens all the time and makes no friggin sense,.. imho,.. I sum it up to poor programming.
They must be a way around that. Every action leads to a rebuild. I almost cannot work anymore due to that.
Marco
Answers: 2

Unread post by Marco »

Don't know if this is a recent problem for you. There is an update in windows 10 that can cause programs to get slow SW is one of them. The update is KB5003173.
The problem with making anything foolproof..........
is that fools are so darn ingenious :)
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

I have around 600 parts that are made in context (no subassembly).
Why? We currently have the same problem, but if you use 'Explode in BOM' you don't need to use so many mates in context. We did this now on several assemblies & it has been a great improvement for rebuild times.

Feel your pain.
Did you try out the freeze bar (at least freeze some features)? It does not fix your opening time, but the rebuild time should be MUCH shorter.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Maybe try "Large Design Review" mode?

In the file open dialogue, select the assembly and select "Large Design Review" then open. This should just load the graphics and simplified tree.
image.png
image.png (7.29 KiB) Viewed 2444 times
Window select the components you want to work on, then select Selective Open. This will load these components and hide everything else leaving them not loaded until you elect to "Show" them in the tree.
image.png
You can create Display States of various groups of components and open the Display State as well getting the same effect.
Jason
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

jcapriotti wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:06 pm Maybe try "Large Design Review" mode?

In the file open dialogue, select the assembly and select "Large Design Review" then open. This should just load the graphics and simplified tree.
image.png

Window select the components you want to work on, then select Selective Open. This will load these components and hide everything else leaving them not loaded until you elect to "Show" them in the tree.

image.png

You can create Display States of various groups of components and open the Display State as well getting the same effect.
Large Design Review mode does not allow editing as far as I'm aware, it only allows "reviewing" of the model
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

AlexLachance wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:50 pm Large Design Review mode does not allow editing as far as I'm aware, it only allows "reviewing" of the model
As soon as you do a "Selective Open", you are no longer in Large Design Review but have the assembly open with only the shown parts loaded. The rest of the hidden parts are treated like they are suppressed and not loaded until you unhide them. so can edit and mate the shown parts.
Jason
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

jcapriotti wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:30 pm As soon as you do a "Selective Open", you are no longer in Large Design Review but have the assembly open with only the shown parts loaded. The rest of the hidden parts are treated like they are suppressed and not loaded until you unhide them. so can edit and mate the shown parts.
Good to know, I might use Large Design Review a bit more then!
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

lilbat wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:15 am Thanks for the reply. Sadly i never used a macro before. Do you have a link to a quick tutorial so i don't make any crappy mistake? Also i need to suspend the rebuild for all the parts of the assembly, not a single part.

Right now i'm trying to create new subassemblies. I've tested this method before, i hope it will work.
I am assuming you had download the macro from https://www.codestack.net/solidworks-ap ... d-rebuild/

To run the macro, see the link below
http://help.solidworks.com/2018/english ... _macro.htm

When you run the macro, a window will pop up and it will suspend all rebuilt until you close the window
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.