How to find rollback'd component?

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
mrlegoman
Answers: 0

How to find rollback'd component?

Unread post by mrlegoman »

I'm trying to 'form new sub-assembly' but get an error :
Cannot add: one of components in rollback state.
sw3.jpg
So, couple thousand parts, how do I find the culprit without having to open every part?
bnemec
Answers: 10

Re: How to find rollback'd component?

Unread post by bnemec »

you're saying that assembly "TEMP-DWG-00023..." contains a couple thousand parts? If not should be able to drill down through sub assemblies there to find the offending part.
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

I looked for Component Status = Rolled Back among the "Search Criteria for Advanced Component Selection" (2018 link) https://help.solidworks.com/2018/englis ... ection.htm

I didn't find it in 2018. I hoped this would be available. Maybe Component Status = (Has Errors, Had Warnings, or Needs Rebuild) can help find that needle, but I think it'd return more false positives than anything.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

bnemec wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:54 pm you're saying that assembly "TEMP-DWG-00023..." contains a couple thousand parts? If not should be able to drill down through sub assemblies there to find the offending part.
AFAIK, there is nothing at the assembly level to tell you which part is rolled back. You have to open (or edit) each individual component.

Why SW gets its panties all bunched up over a rolled back part, I will never understand.

I think in 2019 there was a bug where it would give you this error incorrectly. I think the fix was to open any part. Roll it back and then roll it to the end.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Here is a macro that does it for you:

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/8497

Maybe it will work?
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
mrlegoman

Unread post by mrlegoman »

Haven't tried the macro. Company PC, so we're locked out of a lot of stuff like that.
I ended up trying 'form new sub-assembly' while deselecting one assembly at a time until I did not get the error. Then I went to the offending assembly and repeat. drilled down about 6 times to the final sub-assembly with parts. Checked about a dozen parts and found the bugger. About 15 minutes, but what a pain.
David Matula

Unread post by David Matula »

How about exploring to where the files are saved. The file would have to be one that was opened and saved recently.
Then again i have had a crash with a part in edit mode and it insisted that a part was still rolled back.
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Unread post by gupta9665 »

mrlegoman wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:07 pm Haven't tried the macro. Company PC, so we're locked out of a lot of stuff like that.
Well you should talk to your boss that how much time/money company is losing for not using the macros or similar tools.
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger
D.hendriks

Unread post by D.hendriks »

I was cought with the same problem aswell.
Could not find a way to get the part that has the roll back state indeed.

Instead of searching a way to find one part I used an empty assembly and opened subs.
If I could not find it as an insert component it meant that the sub contained the part I searched for.
I've opened a few and came to a smaller sub wich was easier to verify, that way I found my part.

Hope it works for you aswell.
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

"One of the components of this assembly is in rollback state. The assembly is inaccessible now."
...has been happening all day... only have a few components in the asm but what a pain in the butt!

No rhyme or reason... lame! grumph
Attachments
rollbackinaccessiblenow.png
rollbackinaccessiblenow.png (5.26 KiB) Viewed 37773 times
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I fought that same problem last week. Would it really be that difficult to tell us which part is rolled back?

I agree. grumph
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

dpihlaja wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:11 pm Here is a macro that does it for you:

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/8497

Maybe it will work?
For some reason that download doesn't work for me. It says the zip file is invalid. Can you share it another way?
-
DanPihlaja

SPerman wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:43 am For some reason that download doesn't work for me. It says the zip file is invalid. Can you share it another way?
See attached (I was able to download it, so I attached it here)

Edit: Never mind, it says that the zip file is invalid. Give me a few.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

DanPihlaja

SPerman wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:43 am For some reason that download doesn't work for me. It says the zip file is invalid. Can you share it another way?
OK, here it is (see attached)
Attachments
Find-Rolled-Back-Components.zip
(11.14 KiB) Downloaded 1263 times
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Thanks. Unfortunately I'm having the same problem as the users in the other thread.

image.png
-
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I think my problem is that no part is in a rolled back state, but SW thinks it is. From the other thread:

"Here is some discussion on why SW might display the rolled back message when nothing is actually rolled back:

https://forum.solidworks.com/message/143780 [This link doesn't work for me]

(possibly related to using configure dimension while editing a sketch)"

I definitely have a few dimensions whose value changes based on the configuration.
-
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

After wasting half of the day on this, I finally found a work around, with a little help from my VAR.

1. Open the problem assembly
2. Suppress EVERYTHING
3. Insert the problem assembly into the parent assembly
4. Unsuppress everything.

(In my case, step 4 showed me which part was in a rolled back state, and gave me the option to roll it forward.)
-
Eddy Alleman
Answers: 8

Unread post by Eddy Alleman »

I had the same problem last week.
Closing the assembly and solidworks and reooening solved it for me.
Eddy
mp3-250
Answers: 18

Unread post by mp3-250 »

I stumped on this problem recently and sometimes it is not a real rollback part to cause it, but you have to FORCE ROLLBACK and ROLLFORWARD on the part you opened. It needs just one step back and forward to force a rebuild and the error disappears...
Former Mechanical Engineer (UG-NX ), now a miserable SW CAD/PDM admin... debugging Solidworks since 2014. Please save me from ThE pLaTfOrM...
All the opinions are my own.
SW is bad: a fact not an opinion.
Silver Surfer

Unread post by Silver Surfer »

Why does it seem like Solidworks has gone down hill in quality since 2014? Why not make the next upgrade be the 2014 version? Anyway has this always been a problem with SW. I don't remember running into this issue in the past. The work around of suppressing everything in the Subassembly, inserting it into the assembly, and un-suppressing everything seemed to work for me. Thanks for that tip.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Silver Surfer wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:04 am Why does it seem like Solidworks has gone down hill in quality since 2014? Why not make the next upgrade be the 2014 version? Anyway has this always been a problem with SW. I don't remember running into this issue in the past. The work around of suppressing everything in the Subassembly, inserting it into the assembly, and un-suppressing everything seemed to work for me. Thanks for that tip.
It's been like that since I've been using it. The error is often a memory error in SolidWorks. I fix it by accessing a part previously opened and rolling the bar up and back down.

It really isn't something that happens on a weekly basis.
Roberts P.

Unread post by Roberts P. »

I've found a way of locating faulty file that has previously been saved in rollback state.

1. Open the assembly that contains the rollback component.
2. Navigate to FeatureManager and select ConfigurationManager.
3. Right click on top component, select Add Configuration... and see the pop-up error message. The message should contain the name of the faulty component.
4. Open the faulty component, undo rollback status and then save.

Sincerely yours,
Roberts :)
DanPihlaja

So, I played with "Check active document", "Advanced Select", "Performance Evaluation", and "Assembly Visualization".

All with no luck. None of those tools checks the rolled back state. (FYI, apparently rolled back state is not equal to the state that says "Needs rebuild" which I thought was going to be a winner....but nope).
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

DanPihlaja

Roberts P. wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:43 am I've found a way of locating faulty file that has previously been saved in rollback state.

1. Open the assembly that contains the rollback component.
2. Navigate to FeatureManager and select ConfigurationManager.
3. Right click on top component, select Add Configuration... and see the pop-up error message. The message should contain the name of the faulty component.
4. Open the faulty component, undo rollback status and then save.

Sincerely yours,
Roberts :)
That works!!
image.png
In addition to this, if you have multiple parts that are rolled back, it will specify each one separately.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4