Looking for a 'Function Builder' How To

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
Edu User Anon
Answers: 0

Looking for a 'Function Builder' How To

Unread post by Edu User Anon »

There seems to be very little info online regarding the use of the Function Builder in SolidWorks. Even the official help files don't help much >> http://help.solidworks.com/2021/english ... derdlg.htm
... as they don't offer any examples of its use.

Can anyone point me to some online tutorials or examples of its use.

Or maybe, if you know how to use it, you can share your experience(s) of learning to use it?

P.S. - Maybe there's a reason why there's not much info online, perhaps it's been superseded by some other feature I'm unaware of?
bnemec
Answers: 10

Re: Looking for a 'Function Builder' How To

Unread post by bnemec »

I think this is how we would add damper forces to a study, but it's been many new things ago so I'm not sure right now. The idea was that we have a force in the study that is dependent on the relative velocity of two points in the model.
MJuric
Answers: 1

Unread post by MJuric »

Edu User Anon wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:29 pm There seems to be very little info online regarding the use of the Function Builder in SolidWorks. Even the official help files don't help much >> http://help.solidworks.com/2021/english ... derdlg.htm
... as they don't offer any examples of its use.
Unfortunately can't help you but find in general that many help files are this way today. You go the help file and they "Define" what all the fields, buttons etc are....great so what do they actually do or how am I supposed to use them? It would be like opening your car manual, looking for seat belt and finding "The thing that keeps you from flying thru the windshield"....great, now I know what it's supposed to do, how do I make it do that?
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

I guess if you know how to define a motor with equation, you know how to use it.
Edu User Anon

Thanks all.

So no online tutorials? Maybe someone has dedicated a chapter to it in some book?

I've found this pdf >> https://www.solidworks.com/sw/docs/Moti ... 11_ENG.pdf - and if you go to page 11 there's a bit about it. Hard to believe the feature has been around since 2011 and nobody has covered its use in detail in over 10 years.

Maybe there's a similar feature in CATIA which has been more documented ??
Edu User Anon

I'll just park these here.

Might be useful.

Found this 600 page pdf - Using the Adams/View Function Builder

. . . via this video (starting at 14mins 50secs) >>

Did he need to use this Adams/View software or could he have done the same thing using only SolidWorks ??