Step file and Parasolid file

Maha Nadarasa
Answers: 1

Step file and Parasolid file

Unread post by Maha Nadarasa »

I downloaded a step file when it is open in SWX it shows many faulty faces. I saved this file as a Parasolid format then open it in a SWX again after that all faulty faces disappear.

I wish to know whether opening a file in a Parasolid format is safer.
Attachments
Parasolid file.png
Step file.png
HerrTick

Re: Step file and Parasolid file

Unread post by HerrTick »

Parasolids behave differently than STEP. Parasolid allows for surface edges to be defined by adjacent faces. STEP files have rigid, curve-based definitions of face edges.

Generally, parasolid is better in SW, as SW is driven by the Parasolid kernel.

Sometimes STEP files can be improved by exporting as STEP203 and re-importing. This sometimes allows surfaces that were converted to B-surfaces to magically turn back into cylinders and planes.
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

Maha Nadarasa wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:27 pm I downloaded a step file when it is open in SWX it shows many faulty faces. I saved this file as a Parasolid format then open it in a SWX again after that all faulty faces disappear.

It is my experience that most of the import tools in SW are fical and not very reliable. Sometimes a STEP works, Sometimes a parasolid works, sometimes neither works and on and on. This was a new thing to me coming from IV where imports seemed to be pretty stable and "Bad imports" where the exception rather than the rule.

At one time I had IV and SW installed on the same machine and I would say ~70% of the time that SW imported poorly, IV imported fine, same file.

So to answer your question, you just need to try what you have. Sometimes importing, exporting, importing works. If you have two exports types of the same file, try them both. Try importing a STEP, export it as a parasolid and import it back in. Yes, I've seen pretty much all of these combinations work in SW....I've even seen native SW files exported to something not import properly into SW....but import just fine into IV.

I'm also not sure one is "Safer" than the other, at least in my experience it just "Depends"
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

Maha Nadarasa wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:27 pm I downloaded a step file when it is open in SWX it shows many faulty faces. I saved this file as a Parasolid format then open it in a SWX again after that all faulty faces disappear.

I recognize that part. Isn't that an example of a faulty import from one of my books?

Anyway, yes, Parasolid is native SW geometry, without the feature data. And different versions of Parasolid and SW import differently, sometimes very differently.

That part is at least 15 years old, so the version it was first used in was very different.
Maha Nadarasa

@matt

It is a YouTube recent example video, attached file is in STEP format & uploaded a week ago.
matt

Unread post by matt »

Maha Nadarasa wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:17 pm @matt

It is a YouTube example video, attached file is in STEP format & uploaded a week ago.
Do you have a link? It's surprising how many people like to upload my examples, and even show the same techniques I show. And how conveniently often they forget to mention that it wasn't their work.
Maha Nadarasa

I watched in 2016 in first time (time 17.40)

Second time in 2021. Step file is uploaded underneath in the SHOW MORE section
Attachments
1.png
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Now Matt got his retirement fund.
Maha Nadarasa

Frederick_Law wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:55 pm Now Matt got his retirement fund.
I have seen many work like this in YouTube. They show same part like in the others video but different method of work. I do not know whether it is a violation of copy write.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

matt wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:29 pm Do you have a link? It's surprising how many people like to upload my examples, and even show the same techniques I show. And how conveniently often they forget to mention that it wasn't their work.
Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. I'm not condoning what they're doing, of course, but I would take it as a compliment. :D
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
matt

Unread post by matt »

Ok, these are both from resellers. They are using parts I used to write some training materials for SolidWorks. So it's cool. I've seen a LOT of stuff that wasn't cool, though.

And I did try to use that "compliment" idea the other day. I was checking out groceries and paid the cash register person a compliment. They said it didn't go through and I had to try another method of payment.