Is this right? GD & T placement.

MJuric
Answers: 1

Is this right? GD & T placement.

Unread post by MJuric »

When you place a GD & T tolerance in the vertical orientation you can flip it to either side of the surface. If you place it in the horizontal orientation you can't. In order to get it to go to the other side of the line you have to put it in the secondary tolerance position?

I'm on 2018 SP5 and that seems terribly broken. I could not find a way to get it to flip otherwise, am I missing something?
GD&T.mp4
(858.16 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Re: Is this right? GD & T placement.

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Have you tried rotating the view 180 degrees?
Looks like a bug to me. Anyone have an SPR on this?
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

mattpeneguy wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:47 am Have you tried rotating the view 180 degrees?
Looks like a bug to me. Anyone have an SPR on this?
AND...if you do a compound frame it places one on top of the surface and one under the surface in the horizontal position.

Both of these seem incorrect to me.

I can't tell you how many times I've futzed with this and never realized I was fighting a loosing battle. I always just ended up placing the GD & T on on the same surface in a different view so it would work. I bet if I looked back at all the drawings I have done in the last 2-3 years you will not find any GD & T on a surface at the underside of the part.

I only really realized what the issue was while working with this drawing because I'm attempting to closely match how these have been detailed historically in a new drawing.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

MJuric wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:41 am When you place a GD & T tolerance in the vertical orientation you can flip it to either side of the surface. If you place it in the horizontal orientation you can't. In order to get it to go to the other side of the line you have to put it in the secondary tolerance position?

I'm on 2018 SP5 and that seems terribly broken. I could not find a way to get it to flip otherwise, am I missing something?

GD&T.mp4
I am on SW 2018 SP5 as well and I am seeing the exact same behavior.

Can someone verify for us that it will flip to the bottom on a later version? Click on the GIF below to view it.
GDandT.gif
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

dpihlaja wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:27 am I am on SW 2018 SP5 as well and I am seeing the exact same behavior.

Can someone verify for us that it will flip to the bottom on a later version? Click on the GIF below to view it.

GDandT.gif
I ended up figuring it out that if you place the GD&T without a leader you can flip the boxes horizontally and Vertically. If you place them with a leader, you can only flip them over a vertical axis. No idea why this would be the case but at least there's a workaround...change in my workflow that I can do to get what I want :D