BOM won't show "Document name"

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
MJuric
Answers: 1

BOM won't show "Document name"

Unread post by MJuric »

So I have a part that was downloaded from McMaster Carr. It has one configuration. No matter what I do it will not seem to display the file name in the BOM.

If I go into the configuration properties and set it to "Configuration name" it shows that. If I set it to "User defined" it shows that. If I change it to "Document name" it doesn't change and just shows whatever it was set to last.

I've never seen this so any ideas what the problem is? I'm unaware of any other setting that could cause this.

Thank You,

Edit to Add: This really doesn't tell me what happened and maybe it was just a SW glitch, but I did a "Save as" replacing the part in the assembly and it fixed the issue.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Re: BOM won't show "Document name"

Unread post by mike miller »

What was the created date of the Top Plane? If a part template was really old, it can cause loss-of-function problems like that. Opposite of gain-of-function..... For example, if that option was not available in the template version (often 1999 for McMaster <()> ) it may not be available now.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

mike miller wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:05 pm What was the created date of the Top Plane? If a part template was really old, it can cause loss-of-function problems like that. Opposite of gain-of-function..... For example, if that option was not available in the template version (often 1999 for McMaster <()> ) it may not be available now.
2/11/2011 2:17:42 PM

Old but I wouldn't think that old.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

Check the part properties and see if there is anything in "Configuration Specific." That seems to override the "Custom" tab. I've found SW will fill in the Configuration Specific table when I do a "Save As" on a part.
image.png
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

SPerman wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:23 pm Check the part properties and see if there is anything in "Configuration Specific." That seems to override the "Custom" tab. I've found SW will fill in the Configuration Specific table when I do a "Save As" on a part.

image.png
That's one of the first things I looked at when changing the config stuff didn't work. I didn't see anything there but I could have certainly missed it.
David Matula
Answers: 0

Unread post by David Matula »

sometimes just saving and closing helps fix those glitches you where having. Most times I get it to crash and then when I reopen things go better.
Uncle_Hairball
Answers: 2

Unread post by Uncle_Hairball »

Post the part, please.
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

Uncle_Hairball wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:28 pm Post the part, please.
Sorry, parts gone. Probably should have saved it but once I did the "Save as" and the new file worked I nuked the old one.