Join Sweep end faces?

Marshall Wilson
Answers: 1

Join Sweep end faces?

Unread post by Marshall Wilson »

Isn't there a way to join the end faces of a closed-loop sweep solid without also losing the profile's tangent edge visibility?

I just want to make a simple angle frame, without the seam at the beginning plane. But I don't want to lose the visibility of the edge lines where flat faces join to curves, etc....

I though I used to know how to do this, but at some point, forgot, or the software changed or something....
Thanks!

-m
Screenshot_1.jpg
Uncle_Hairball
Answers: 2

Re: Join Sweep end faces?

Unread post by Uncle_Hairball »

Have you considered using a weldment instead?
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

Marshall Wilson wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:12 pm Isn't there a way to join the end faces of a closed-loop sweep solid without also losing the profile's tangent edge visibility?

I just want to make a simple angle frame, without the seam at the beginning plane. But I don't want to lose the visibility of the edge lines where flat faces join to curves, etc....

I though I used to know how to do this, but at some point, forgot, or the software changed or something....
Thanks!

-m

Screenshot_1.jpg

Use the Merge Tangent Faces option.
image.png
image.png (6.41 KiB) Viewed 1518 times
image.png
Marshall Wilson

matt wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:39 pm Use the Merge Tangent Faces option.
But when I use "Merge Tangent Faces", I lose the edge lines defining curve/flat faces on the profile.... :(
Screenshot_2.jpg
matt

Unread post by matt »

Marshall Wilson wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:33 pm But when I use "Merge Tangent Faces", I lose the edge lines defining curve/flat faces on the profile.... :(

Screenshot_2.jpg
No you don't.

Tools>Options>Display
image.png
image.png (2.94 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

The only drawback to using Merge Tangent Faces is the fact that when using a circular profile, it will not recognize the outside face as cylindrical and therefore does not allow concentric mates. At least, that's what happens to me because I haven't been able to strike fear into Solidworks like @matt can. :lol:
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
matt

Unread post by matt »

mike miller wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:32 am The only drawback to using Merge Tangent Faces is the fact that when using a circular profile, it will not recognize the outside face as cylindrical and therefore does not allow concentric mates. At least, that's what happens to me because I haven't been able to strike fear into Solidworks like @matt can. :lol:
You should be able to do that. Is there a special situation where it hasn't worked for you? There are times when a sweep will convert analytical entities to splines, which would mess everything up, but I think if the path is lines and arcs and the profile is lines and arcs, you should be ok.
image.png
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

matt wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:10 am You should be able to do that. Is there a special situation where it hasn't worked for you? There are times when a sweep will convert analytical entities to splines, which would mess everything up, but I think if the path is lines and arcs and the profile is lines and arcs, you should be ok.

image.png
Sorry, I should have quantified that a little better. Using radii at the corners is when it doesn't work.
2021-06-15 09_22_10.jpg
The reason it doesn't work is pretty simple; it's because the entire outer face is now one entity instead of five in this case. I'm not saying there's something wrong with the software, just pointing out a limitation with Merge Tangent Faces.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
HerrTick

Unread post by HerrTick »

But I don't want to lose the visibility of the edge lines where flat faces join to curves, etc....
WHY?
matt

Unread post by matt »

mike miller wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:23 am Sorry, I should have quantified that a little better. Using radii at the corners is when it doesn't work.

2021-06-15 09_22_10.jpg

The reason it doesn't work is pretty simple; it's because the entire outer face is now one entity instead of five in this case. I'm not saying there's something wrong with the software, just pointing out a limitation with Merge Tangent Faces.
Yeah, you're right. putting tangent elements in the path splines everything. In that case, I'd mate the path sketch.
Marshall Wilson

HerrTick wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:34 am WHY?
Because tangent edges are easy to hook dimensions to in drawings.

Everything is about the drawings (for us)
HerrTick

A section view would be much more appropriate.
matt

Unread post by matt »

HerrTick wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:58 pm A section view would be much more appropriate.
If it is all splines, you won't be able to put dimensions on the section. Just don't use the merge tangent faces setting, or put dimensions on the sketch.
HerrTick

Dimensioning to hidden silhouettes is poor form. I don't do it and would not accept if it was being done for me.

If the section resolves as splines when it shouldn't, there is a model problem that needs fixing.