Custom thread design - need assistance

mikeG
Answers: 0

Custom thread design - need assistance

Unread post by mikeG »

Hello all,

I'm struggling to draw / work out the dimensions for custom thread for the provided dimensions below.

Could someone pls help me out?

Provided thread dimensions (that's all I have):
CUSTOM 32 TPI THREAD
RUN MAJOR 1.390
RUN PITCH 1.371

Actual part:
image.png

Solidworks Design input for Custom thread:
image.png
Attachments
image.png
SPerman
Answers: 13

Re: Custom thread design - need assistance

Unread post by SPerman »

I put this together a long time ago based on the information in Machinerys Handbook.
Thread Profile - National Standard.xls
(2.92 MiB) Downloaded 142 times
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
TTevolve
Answers: 3

Unread post by TTevolve »

SPerman wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:31 am I put this together a long time ago based on the information in Machinerys Handbook.

That is awesome. I always have to go grab my Machinery's Handbook to look up the values when I have to do a actual cut thread in SW, this excel sheet will be a huge help. Thanks for sharing your file.
mikeG

Unread post by mikeG »

Thank you.
I've followed slightly different approach. I still had to adjust the pitch though. It supposed to be 32TPI, thus Pitch = 1/32.
Parts printed on 3d printer came out really good.

Pitch, Dia and H (which i didn't need as i had Major dia):
Attachments
image.png
image.png
image.png (77.41 KiB) Viewed 1387 times
image.png
image.png
image.png (78.16 KiB) Viewed 1387 times
gerard

Unread post by gerard »

/rant on/

Why, oh why are you cutting threads in 3D models?

Do you hate your co-workers?

Once, upon a time, when I was a VAR, that was the first thing we covered in training classes.

Here is how you cut threads.

And then, here's why we don't.

Seriously. Nothing to gain here other than consuming vast quantities of CPU cycles.

/rant off/
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

gerard wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:16 am /rant on/

Once, upon a time, when I was a VAR, that was the first thing we covered in training classes.

Seriously. Nothing to gain here other than consuming vast quantities of CPU cycles.

/rant off/
Seeing as the part seems to be in some form of plastic, most likely the model will be used for the molding, hence the need for the threads in 3D.
Frank_Oostendorp
Answers: 2

Unread post by Frank_Oostendorp »

/rant off/
/rant on/
Why , oh why can we not use the cosmetic thread in a consistent performing way in SolidWorks. And why are ISO standards so poorly implemented in SolidWorks Cosmetic thread?

Once, upon a time, when I was in one of the classes at the VAR, actually many times in the past 20 years, we kept asking when? But the VAR just told us, remove the Ø and put the M in place.

For many parts, I create a 100% accurate thread, in the middle of its actual tolerance field. These files are equal in size compared to a part with SolidWorks simplified thread as a feature.

/rant off/ UU
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

/rant off/
Because the thread is too big for tap and die cut.
Profile milling. ~3 feet diameter buttress.
Need both with proper clearance.
I 3D printed a section to see.
Thread-01.jpg
gerard

Unread post by gerard »

For the case above. Makes complete sense.

Files sizes might be the same, but the CPU load is not. Far different.

Load up an assembly with a couple of hundred nuts and bolts with threads.

Might be a good opportunity to take lunch.

McMaster-Carr is the worst for this. Every fastener you download from them has threads cut.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

gerard wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:20 pm For the case above. Makes complete sense.

Files sizes might be the same, but the CPU load is not. Far different.

Load up an assembly with a couple of hundred nuts and bolts with threads.

Might be a good opportunity to take lunch.

McMaster-Carr is the worst for this. Every fastener you download from them has threads cut.
All fasteners from McMaster-Carr also have some other bloat stuff as well, which makes the file open slowly even if you get rid of the threads.

Which is why I cycle everything I get from them through what @zxys001 has referred to in the past as a "Parasolid wash".

Suppress the threads, save it as a parasolid, then open the parasolid and overwrite the original file.
Since Solidworks kernel is parasolid based, then that is all you are doing is stripping everything away that isn't geometry.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
MattW
Answers: 2

Unread post by MattW »

DanPihlaja wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:33 pm All fasteners from McMaster-Carr also have some other bloat stuff as well, which makes the file open slowly even if you get rid of the threads.

Which is why I cycle everything I get from them through what @zxys001 has referred to in the past as a "Parasolid wash".

Suppress the threads, save it as a parasolid, then open the parasolid and overwrite the original file.
Since Solidworks kernel is parasolid based, then that is all you are doing is stripping everything away that isn't geometry.
Maybe the biggest cause of bloat in McMaster Carr models is the display properties are maxed out, and the last little bit greatly increases file size. For fasteners, suppress the helix, reduce the image quality (I have a macro for this), and the file size is normal.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

MattW wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:31 pm Maybe the biggest cause of bloat in McMaster Carr models is the display properties are maxed out, and the last little bit greatly increases file size. For fasteners, suppress the helix, reduce the image quality (I have a macro for this), and the file size is normal.
There are also some legacy design tables that are attached to them.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
TTevolve
Answers: 3

Unread post by TTevolve »

If you use a lot of fasteners in assemblies it is worth it to model one of the common sizes you use and use a design table to drive the lengths/properties. I save a ton of time being able to swap lengths using the drop down box.
bradb

Unread post by bradb »

Seeing as the part seems to be in some form of plastic, most likely the model will be used for the molding, hence the need for the threads in 3D.
This

If you want your part molded or 3d printed why would you not model them. As a mold designer when I get a threaded part to be molded without the threads modeled it's usually because whomever modeled the part either didn't know how to or was too lazy to do it. A case of just kicking the can down the road, but eventually somebody has to do it. I agree threads don't need to be modeled on everything, but not doing them on something you specifically want made to save some file size is just an excuse. It all depends on the part.

Not meant as a shot to anyone, just a slight rant from someone on the receiving end of non modeled threads on parts.
My apologies for the thread drift.
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

bradb wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:34 am This

If you want your part molded or 3d printed why would you not model them. As a mold designer when I get a threaded part to be molded without the threads modeled it's usually because whomever modeled the part either didn't know how to or was too lazy to do it. A case of just kicking the can down the road, but eventually somebody has to do it. I agree threads don't need to be modeled on everything, but not doing them on something you specifically want made to save some file size is just an excuse. It all depends on the part.

Not meant as a shot to anyone, just a slight rant from someone on the receiving end of non modeled threads on parts.
My apologies for the thread drift crossthreading.
FIFY
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

DanPihlaja wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:33 pm All fasteners from McMaster-Carr also have some other bloat stuff as well, which makes the file open slowly even if you get rid of the threads.

UU
Attachments
image_1_102610.jpg
image_1_102610.jpg (8.4 KiB) Viewed 1149 times
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
JuTu
Answers: 1

Unread post by JuTu »

SPerman wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:31 am I put this together a long time ago based on the information in Machinerys Handbook.

What is this WIZARDRY!?!

or instead you can read: Nice. Really impressive 8-)
Sincerely,
JuTu