Disable Reducing Fractions

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
JSculley
Answers: 55

Disable Reducing Fractions

Unread post by JSculley »

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but is there a setting or trick to prevent SOLIDWORKS from reducing fractional dimensions? I have to duplicate some dimensions from a customer drawing and the callout is 44/64" (+0/ -2/64). Sure, this is 11/16 (+0/ -1/32) but I need to show the unreduced dimensions on the drawing.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Re: Disable Reducing Fractions

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

If I understand you correctly, you want the actual dimension to show instead of having it rounded to the nearest 1/16"? If yes, it's pretty simple. Go to the Document Properties > Units, and change the 16 to 64.

If that isn't what you meant please clarify for my tired old brain.

image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Tom G
Answers: 0

Unread post by Tom G »

I'm pretty sure that your pretty sure is correctly intuited. I know of no way to express 32/64 (or any other reducible dimension) and not have it automatically reduce to 1/2.

No one likes dimensional overrides, but that would place numbers on the page the way you want to show it. Personally, I would apply an override color indicator, outside of design standard.
JSculley

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:08 pm If I understand you correctly, you want the actual dimension to show instead of having it rounded to the nearest 1/16"? If yes, it's pretty simple. Go to the Document Properties > Units, and change the 16 to 64.

If that isn't what you meant please clarify for my tired old brain.

image.png
This setting has no effect on a dimension where the numerator and denominator have a common divisor. If you have a dimension that can be reduced to a lower denominator, SW seems to do it, no matter what denominator you have in the settings. For example, you cant have 6/12, it will always reduce to 1/2.
image.png
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

I'm sorry. Now I understand. No, I'm not aware of any way to do that. Do you mind if I ask why you want to?
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
JSculley

Tom G wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:30 pm I'm pretty sure that your pretty sure is correctly intuited. I know of no way to express 32/64 (or any other reducible dimension) and not have it automatically reduce to 1/2.

No one likes dimensional overrides,
And they don't work for fractional dimensions, and they definitely aren't available for tolerances. I had to kludge it with an overriden dimension, two notes and a sketched line. I feel dirty......
image.png
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

JSculley wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:46 pm And they don't work for fractional dimensions, and they definitely aren't available for tolerances. I had to kludge it with an overriden dimension, two notes and a sketched line. I feel dirty......

image.png
As an (ex)machinist, that dimension makes my skin crawl. <()>
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

mike miller wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:23 am As an (ex)machinist, that dimension makes my skin crawl. <()>
That's what some of us are here to do...we don't want machinists to have too easy of a job...they may get lazy...