Squiggly partial section view breaks?

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
MJuric
Answers: 1

Squiggly partial section view breaks?

Unread post by MJuric »

Does anyone know if it is possible to get "break" lines in a partial section view as shown below? Whenever you do a section thru only part of a part it makes the section view square.

I could probably crop it with something and get what I want but was wondering if there was a way to get it from the section tool itself.

image.png
Uncle_Hairball
Answers: 2

Re: Squiggly partial section view breaks?

Unread post by Uncle_Hairball »

The principle of a section view is passing a plane through the part and looking at the face that was cut by the plane. You're asking for an additional cut along a second axis. You can crop the section view, but it should not be possible to create what you're after, using only a section view.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

No, as far as I know it's not possible, though I'd like to be able to do that also. I typically use the Line Format toolbar to change those lines to a thinner broken font. That works fine until you do any edits on the view that require a rebuild, when it will revert to the default and you'll need to do it all over again.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Uncle_Hairball wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:54 pm The principle of a section view is passing a plane through the part and looking at the face that was cut by the plane. You're asking for an additional cut along a second axis. You can crop the section view, but it should not be possible to create what you're after, using only a section view.
I believe you misunderstood. I'm pretty sure he wants the edges of partial section views to be jagged, similar to the present option for detail views and cropped views.

image.png
image.png (15.24 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

Uncle_Hairball wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:54 pm The principle of a section view is passing a plane through the part and looking at the face that was cut by the plane. You're asking for an additional cut along a second axis. You can crop the section view, but it should not be possible to create what you're after, using only a section view.
I'm not asking for a cut on a second plane I'm asking for break lines similar to the break view in correlation with the section view. Break lines are not an "Additional Cut" but rather an indication that the part continues beyond this point but is not being shown.

That's what I do not like about SW "Partial Sections". Using straight lines at the edges can mistakenly be identified by the view as "Straight line geometry" rather than a part break.
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:31 am I believe you misunderstood. I'm pretty sure he wants the edges of partial section views to be jagged, similar to the present option for detail views and cropped views.

image.png
Thanks, and yes that's a good example of what I'm talking about.

Seems to me that this should be a thing.

I'd really love for some 80 year old engineer that spent years on the drawing board to get hired by SW and other CAD companies and just educate them on how to make a clear drawing. There are many things I run into that are either difficult to do or can't do that we did all the time on the board and even 2D CAD for clarity.

Drawing quality since the inception of 3D CAD is absolutely horrific and not getting better. Despite the "Belief" that drawings are no longer necessary I drop that belief in the same category as "We don't need to plan anymore because everyone is available all the time" mentality. Both appear to be true at the surface but in the end are terrible time wasters and money eaters and both created because of a general loss of ability, knowledge and understanding.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

MJuric wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:18 pm I could probably crop it with something and get what I want but was wondering if there was a way to get it from the section tool itself.
Yeah, you have to add a crop. Luckily the crop view has an option to make it jagged so you can get away with a rectangular crop instead of sketching our a spline.
image.png
Does any CAD system handle this? Creo and I believe Solid Edge allows you to edit the view boundary and sketch a spline, kind of the same as cropping though as far as effort is concerned.
Jason
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

jcapriotti wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:49 pm
Does any CAD system handle this? Creo and I believe Solid Edge allows you to edit the view boundary and sketch a spline, kind of the same as cropping though as far as effort is concerned.
I believe Inventor does
image.png
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

MJuric wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:28 pm I believe Inventor does

image.png
Yeah SolidWorks, like most of it functions, seems to be one step away from being finished. You can do jagged edges for cropped, detail, and break views.....just no sections. Looks like IV had jagged edges for detail views, then SolidWorks added the same in 2017. Then IV 2019 added jagged edges for sections. Maybe SolidWorks will respond in kind at some point.
Jason