How to properly insert multiple sub-assemblies

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
osh5110
Answers: 0

How to properly insert multiple sub-assemblies

Unread post by osh5110 »

I inserted multiple subassemblies and mated to another component using path mates.
(I am modeling sliding door system with multiple door leaf. so Subassembly = each door leaf, mated to component = sliding track)

All subassemblies mated with different paths. I wanted these subassemblies to move along in its individually different paths.
But I found these subassemblies would be stuck and not move when I drag them,
found the reason to be because multiple mates were addressing to the same parts in subassemblies, and therefore conflicted.

Subassembly1
- part1
Subassembly2
- part1
Subassembly3
- part1

as such structure....

So now I know the problem, but how to solve it efficiently?
If it's only 2 or 3 subassemblies, I could manually change file path or file name, so they are technically different parts... But what if I have far many of them?
Lucas
Answers: 2

Re: How to properly insert multiple sub-assemblies

Unread post by Lucas »

Not sure if I got it. The subassemblies cant move in the assembly file due to the mates inside of it, so you have to save one part with different names to fix it?

I think you could do it using Pack and Go

https://help.solidworks.com/2019/englis ... 27efb2#Pg0
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

I know you said "I know the problem", but I'm not sure you do. I know I don't. Using the same Part in multiple sub-assemblies shouldn't cause any mating problems in the upper level Assembly. Can you do a Pack and Go of the Assembly to a zip file and post it here?
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
osh5110

Unread post by osh5110 »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:14 am I know you said "I know the problem", but I'm not sure you do. I know I don't. Using the same Part in multiple sub-assemblies shouldn't cause any mating problems in the upper level Assembly. Can you do a Pack and Go of the Assembly to a zip file and post it here?
You can download from this link:

I put in 2 door leafs using path mates.
If I suppress mating for one of these doors, the other door leaf will slide just fine.
MJuric
Answers: 1

Unread post by MJuric »

osh5110 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:01 am I inserted multiple subassemblies and mated to another component using path mates.
(I am modeling sliding door system with multiple door leaf. so Subassembly = each door leaf, mated to component = sliding track)

All subassemblies mated with different paths. I wanted these subassemblies to move along in its individually different paths.
But I found these subassemblies would be stuck and not move when I drag them,
found the reason to be because multiple mates were addressing to the same parts in subassemblies, and therefore conflicted.

Subassembly1
- part1
Subassembly2
- part1
Subassembly3
- part1

as such structure....

So now I know the problem, but how to solve it efficiently?
If it's only 2 or 3 subassemblies, I could manually change file path or file name, so they are technically different parts... But what if I have far many of them?
I have no idea what the issue is with your exact situation but I do know that I've had a LOT of issues with path mates. I've done a couple of projects where I had "Garage door" type of assemblies and it would NEVER fail that the path mate would either blow up or just lock up.

My approach typically ends up a couple ways. Do the path mate for design purposes only. In other words path mate it and check what you need to along the path. Create another config that suppresses the path mate and mate the actual working assembly using other mates in a few critical positions for designing, drawings etc.
Lucas

Unread post by Lucas »

osh5110 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:12 am You can download from this link:

I put in 2 door leafs using path mates.
If I suppress mating for one of these doors, the other door leaf will slide just fine.
The link is locked :/
osh5110

Unread post by osh5110 »

Lucas wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:36 pm The link is locked :/
sorry about that :shock: could you try again
Lucas

Unread post by Lucas »

Yeah, you are right. If I suppress one door the other can move much better. lol

Looks like you created the Path Mates properly, I think SW has a problem to find the pivot in this situation.
I would suggest you to forget about dragging the structure and create Configurations for the assembly, one open and other closed. (You could create more configurations with the doors in specific positions for presentations)

Btw, the way the roller leg is designed might not allow the door to slide on the joints:
image.png