How do i show the coordinate systems in a drawing?

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
cad-solid-works
Answers: 0

How do i show the coordinate systems in a drawing?

Unread post by cad-solid-works »

I need to show the coordinate system xyz in a drawing because i made a drawing of a model in exploded view. I've already tried "view->hide/show->coordinate systems" but still does not show in the drawing.
Tom G

Re: How do i show the coordinate systems in a drawing?

Unread post by Tom G »

I do not know how to do what you ask for in the way you ask for it.
The Coordinate Systems you are trying to View are a Reference Geometry Feature, and not necessarily the primary XYZ arrow set which appears in the active window when modelling. You could create one, and show it. This would stay parametric and adapt with new view orientations.

You can create a 3D object of three narrow cylinders with cones at their ends. Place this part within the model, and only show it where it is needed to show in a view. Add annotations X Y and Z to it.

Another option is to exclude this object from within your model, but develop it as an independent file (or even a Drawing Block) and insert it on the sheet where and how you would like it.

Neither of the latter solutions here are entirely parametric, so that if the view orientation changes, this may not automatically update with it.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

cad-solid-works wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:49 am I need to show the coordinate system xyz in a drawing because i made a drawing of a model in exploded view. I've already tried "view->hide/show->coordinate systems" but still does not show in the drawing.
Create a part with a 3D sketch that shows 3 lines along the X, Y, & Z, axes. Make them an inch or so.

Add that part to your assembly and make sure it is set to origin.

Show that sketch in the view.

(or , alternatively, add this same 3D sketch to the assembly and show it from there at the drawing level).
image.png
image.png
image.png
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
TooTallToby

Unread post by TooTallToby »

I was able to do the following:
1. in the part model: INSERT>REFERENCE GEOMETRY>COORDINATE SYSTEM
2. Make a drawing of the part. Add an Isometric View
3. Expand the drawing tree of this isometric view. RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON on the Coordinate System > Choose SHOW

And it showed no problem (in the drawing).
matthew.limberg

Unread post by matthew.limberg »

How do I get coordinate points and find the radius on drawings, as shown. I am a novice SW user upgrading from doing everything in AutoCAD 2002 so we can add automation to our plant. I need to evaluate customers drawings and display points to get other data from them.

These were done by a remote co-worker using Creo.
Attachments
image.png
image.png