Sketch Purge Cannot Fully define??

JMOS4
Answers: 0

Sketch Purge Cannot Fully define??

Unread post by JMOS4 »

Hi all,

Ok been frustrating myself, is there a way to purge a sketch of junk as seems like it has relationships to something but there is nothing there, I have went round and round as this is a file I am setting up for a bunch of small parts and using these base sketches to define it

If you make this dimension driven it errors out, if you delete it and remake it errors out any idea's on what is going on?

Either way want it the sketch fully defined
image.png
image.png (8.82 KiB) Viewed 340 times
See if you can get this to work, see attached file

Regards,
Jim
Attachments
Forum-sketch error-2022-01-25.SLDPRT
(306.35 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Re: Sketch Purge Cannot Fully define??

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

JMOS4 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:03 pm Hi all,

Ok been frustrating myself, is there a way to purge a sketch of junk as seems like it has relationships to something but there is nothing there, I have went round and round as this is a file I am setting up for a bunch of small parts and using these base sketches to define it

If you make this dimension driven it errors out, if you delete it and remake it errors out any idea's on what is going on?

Either way want it the sketch fully defined

See if you can get this to work, see attached file

Regards,
Jim
As you've probably figured out, it should work. In fact, I can drag that dimension horizontally and the driven value will change.

I assume you haven't been using SW very long? It doesn't like overly complex sketches, and yours definitely qualifies. Depending on your goal here, I'd suggest breaking this up into multiple sketches, or use more features and less sketch elements.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
TooTallToby

Unread post by TooTallToby »

Sorry- couldn't help myself :-)
JMOS4

Unread post by JMOS4 »

Hi again,

I managed to get it to work, but makes no sense as I added the 15.005 (not a whole number) dim and works if I make it driven and make the 5.0 the dimension it errors out, even if I go down to another center of circle that is in line:
image.png
I use the sketches to keep placement from a much larger and more complex detail that I can't link to, PDM issues etc.. all of our files need to stand alone so to speak

I have done this before and never had Solidworks tell me that relationships added to a undefined sketch cause the rest of the sketch to error out, one of those frustrating things that you know there is something strange going on, wish Solidworks had a purge function on the sketch itself and not necessarily display delete relations for all the junk that copies over when you copy a sketch from 1 part to another

Either way do not see why the 5.0 can't be the dim that controls it.

Regards,
Jim