Weldment configuration

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
Tim R. Halvorsen
Answers: 0

Weldment configuration

Unread post by Tim R. Halvorsen »

Hi Peers

I have a weldment part, where the geometry of the profile is somewhat complex.
For small things, this is no issue at all, but for downstream production, having a more simple representation would greatly help.

So, question is very simple:
Is it possible to create a weldment structure having the true shape, and then make a 'simplified' configuration, referencing a much more basic shape - in this case just a pipe.

It seems that it is impossible to have this setup created, although the feature for structual member actually has option to specify a configuration where its settings should apply.

Attached file is from SW2022, and I already created two configs. One should be the true shape and the other just a pipe.
Side note - there will be cuts made to the structual members, like pockets and holes, so ideally, references should be kept intact :D

If only there was a way to configure lines in a sketch to be either 'full' or 'for construction' - then it might be more doable with basic weldment profile configurations, but apparently SOLIDWORKS does not want this to be an easy task.
I can't be the first to raise this question......?

Tim
Attachments
example.SLDPRT
(581.92 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Re: Weldment configuration

Unread post by gupta9665 »

The only way I know is to create 2 versions of the profile and use each for creating the detailed and simple config. Both profiles should be under same type.

For creating the cuts, holes, etc. do not use the reference from the bodies but planes and sketches.
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger
Tim R. Halvorsen

Hi Deepak

Yes, that is somehow also my conclusion, but unfortunately not an option.
Imagine a steel structure for a house, using 50 different groups and 10 different profiles.
It is not possible to base sketches off planes at all here - so, major setback and will look for workarounds.

I need individual bodies that carry the sketch for any extrude-cut in the profiles.
Unfortunately, 'save bodies' will not provide option to include sketches, it will just create the 'stock' part reference, with no further options.

I guess the only viable solution here is to create the weldment structure as is, with no machining added at all (no holes or cuts) - then perform a save bodies, and then in the resulting assembly, add the features required - meaning all the holes and cuts.

I'll then have my skeleton as raw structure, the assembly with individual parts, carrying all the machining features.

All that, because we can't have configured weldment profiles for two part configurations :D

Yaiks... Thanks again Deepak
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Unread post by gupta9665 »

Can you create configuration for each body?
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Could you show a representation of the shape you speak of and clarify what you mean by simplifying it?

You could delete fillets, chamfers, holes or anything that's useless to be represented, using the "delete face" tool for instance. You could also do as Deepak suggested.

If you're looking for something to do multiple times on different parts that are already existing, Deepak's solution would be the easiest to apply.

It really depends on what your needs are here.
Tim R. Halvorsen

Hi Deepak

Unfortunately this is also not really supported in SOLIDWORKS.... I mean, I can do it, but then I'd need to have a delete bodies, for each structual member I need to isolate in a configuration.
With more than 100 bodies, that task alone is quite significant as well. Rebuild is already pretty time consuming for the part.

But good suggestion, never the less.

Tim
Tim R. Halvorsen

Hi Alex

I'm afraid I can't post the actual structure, but it could be something along these lines - just much more structual embers with circular and rectangular pockets for inlays and hardware.
https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/mbki ... s/enc7.png

Every profile has to go to machining in CNC mill, programmed using SOLIDWORKS CAM - and I did test other CAM systems I have available through peers, and the geometry alone is not usable for selection for pocket milling - the profile of the structual members is complex, causing the selections to overlap from the CAM point of view, so we need the sketch to drive the toolpaths.

Tim

Fair use notification: if you are owner of linked picture and does not want it linked outside your public webpage, please let me know and I'll remove it at your request.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

So, the simplification would be for performance purposes? Are there already multiple instances to "correct"?

Delete body might be another feature you could use, to remove undesired hardware.

From my understanding, you have a weldment with multiple bodies that have complex shapes and you would like to simplify these shapes, though I'm not sure what's the "final result" that you are looking for, or what the reason of the simplification is.

I think Deepak has most likely the best solution.