Fillet on Sheet Metal Bend

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
Lucas
Answers: 2

Fillet on Sheet Metal Bend

Unread post by Lucas »

I am having trouble to replicate those fillets, on the original part it actually looks like the cut was made after the bends... o[
How would you make it?
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
image.png
image.png
Attachments
Cover in2.SLDPRT
(242.96 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
by jcapriotti » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:01 am
How to make it depends on its use. It it needs to mate up to another part very precisely, then you may have to cut it post bending as that surface would not be normal. If you don't have that requirements, then a side cut with "Normal Cut" checked is the way to go.

Cut from side, Normal Cut selected
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
Go to full post
Lucas

Re: Fillet on Sheet Metal Bend

Unread post by Lucas »

Update: Checking the Normal Cut on the Extruded Cut makes a better result, maybe I need to reposition the fillets
image.png
image.png
SamSpade

Unread post by SamSpade »

Have you tried a normal cut without the fillets, and then unfolding the part and adding the fillets afterward? I haven't tried it to know for sure it would work, but it just might give you a better-looking blank.
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

How to make it depends on its use. It it needs to mate up to another part very precisely, then you may have to cut it post bending as that surface would not be normal. If you don't have that requirements, then a side cut with "Normal Cut" checked is the way to go.

Cut from side, Normal Cut selected
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
Jason
Lucas

Unread post by Lucas »

SamSpade wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:51 am Have you tried a normal cut without the fillets, and then unfolding the part and adding the fillets afterward? I haven't tried it to know for sure it would work, but it just might give you a better-looking blank.
Yep, but it gets suppressed when folded back lol
Also adding the Fillet Feature on sheet metal seems to be a bad practice, perhaps even on the Sketches...
Anyway, thanks for the reply UU
jcapriotti wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:01 am How to make it depends on its use. It it needs to mate up to another part very precisely, then you may have to cut it post bending as that surface would not be normal. If you don't have that requirements, then a side cut with "Normal Cut" checked is the way to go.
That worked, thanks. Will keep in mind to split into more features UU
Dwight

Unread post by Dwight »

Lucas wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:30 pm
Also adding the Fillet Feature on sheet metal seems to be a bad practice, perhaps even on the Sketches...
Surely that's not the case. I have used both sketch and feature fillets with sheet metal with no issues for years.

Dwight
Lucas

Unread post by Lucas »

Dwight wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:36 am Surely that's not the case. I have used both sketch and feature fillets with sheet metal with no issues for years.
Yep, forget to mention specifically on bends. ^^