Which Part is updating its cutlist?

Tom G
Answers: 0

Which Part is updating its cutlist?

Unread post by Tom G »

I use weldments a lot. At least a couple of years ago, I updated my part templates to turn off automatic cut list updates. This settings decision is because it really slows down my assembly for no reason whatsoever, i.e. nothing has changed in these components but it always wants to waste my time to update the cut lists. I do rely on cut lists only in drawing context, and only when detailing those relevant components. It is a normal step in my drawing process to trigger the cut list update only WHEN it is needed and useful.

Lately, I'm editing an assembly that was initially created late last year, so all virtual weldment components ought to have their automatic updates disabled. However, I keep getting the old slow downs in the assembly due to auto cut list updates, when opening it, doing a Copy with Mates, and other unrelated processes. I very much want to disable this, wherever it may be. Where is it?!? I do not mean, where is the setting. I mean, which component(s) is wasting my time and needs changed? I mean, there's only 117 of them. I could tediously open and inspect settings of each and every one of them, but I would rather not.

How can I identify which component in my assembly is having its cut list automatically updated?
Thank you.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Re: Which Part is updating its cutlist?

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

I wonder if the cutlist rebuild time would show up in the assembly rebuild report?
image.png
image.png
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Another option might be to use Assembly Visualization and change one of the columns to "SW-Rebuild Time", then sort by that column
image.png
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
Tom G
Answers: 0

Unread post by Tom G »

I found the offending component before trying your suggestions. Now that I've repaired the component, it is actually the 3rd fastest rebuild time in the whole visualization list. Sorry that I can't help figure it out by applying your suggestions.

I found it by entering "weldment" into the tree filter. This can be useful for most, but is much less indicative to me because any part with pipe / tube connections on it contains a sketch specifically named, "Weldment 3DSketch". I could still skim past those results and locate the item with both a weldment feature and a weldment 3dsketch.

It was in a Diaphragm Seal component, which contains NO STRUCTURAL MEMBERS! It was added to the library years ago, and for some reason it had a Weldment Feature in its tree, right above a few dozen imported surface bodies. Who knows why or when or how. The real kicker is, its cut list that kept updating.. WAS EMPTY! It is entirely comprised of surface bodies, with no solid bodies.

Put SWx in a round room and tell it to sit in the corner. Hrm.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

You can view it by right clicking every cutlist item individually and seeing if the box is checked, but I'm not sure that there are any other ways to verify.

Maybe a macro could check all of this and return a report back to you? I know I have a macro made that is supposed to set every item to have their cutlist be updated automatically. It was made by my VAR to answer an issue we were having. Would you like me to post it?

A bit late to the party, sorry lol