How do I filter for dead mates?

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
Dwight
Answers: 2

How do I filter for dead mates?

Unread post by Dwight »

I did look for a better way to put it, but I found nothing in a few searches, so I'm calling them "dead mates" until I hear something better. I mean a mate where both parties are deceased, leaving only a pair of grayed out component references in their will. They may be creepy, but I create them by the score and often spend time trying to clean them out of my assemblies.

Some questions:

What are they really called?

Is there a way to filter for them?

Do they affect performance? (I think they must, demanding that Solidworks search for the lost components.)

Thanks

Dwight
by SPerman » Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:32 pm
Right Click on the "mates" label in the history tree. Select "Group Mates", then "By Status." This may not get you all of the way there, but it will get you close.

image.png
image.png

https://help.solidworks.com/2019/englis ... _mates.htm
image.png
Go to full post
bnemec
Answers: 10

Re: How do I filter for dead mates?

Unread post by bnemec »

I think I've heard of a macro for these. They're usually a "renal failure yellow" color in the tree? Equally concerning are mates that were left suppressed and are now dead.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

Right Click on the "mates" label in the history tree. Select "Group Mates", then "By Status." This may not get you all of the way there, but it will get you close.

image.png
image.png

https://help.solidworks.com/2019/englis ... _mates.htm
image.png
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Dwight

Unread post by Dwight »

SPerman wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:32 pm Right Click on the "mates" label in the history tree. Select "Group Mates", then "By Status."
I see that's new for 2019. Something to look forward to. I knew I heard about something like that, probably in an Alin video.

Thanks

Dwight
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I learned about it here on the forum, but I can't remember when or where.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

SPerman wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:41 am I learned about it here on the forum, but I can't remember when or where.
@matt note this cadforum.net milestone?
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

bnemec wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:44 am @matt note this cadforum.net milestone?
I was hoping this would turn into a pirate pun thread. UU
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

zxys001 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:32 am I was hoping this would turn into a pirate pun thread. UU
image.png
Jason
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

jcapriotti wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:42 pmimage.png
Attachments
IMG-0256.jpg
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
Dwight

Unread post by Dwight »

I am still curious how much these dead mates affect performance. When I open someone else's assembly and find 30 or 40 of these gray corpses in the mates folder, I'd like to tell the owner how much they slow down performance of the top level assembly. But do they?

Is Alin reading this? Ever checked this out?

Dwight
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Dwight wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:02 pm I am still curious how much these dead mates affect performance. When I open someone else's assembly and find 30 or 40 of these gray corpses in the mates folder, I'd like to tell the owner how much they slow down performance of the top level assembly. But do they?

Dwight
If the Dead Mates are buried in sub assemblies and those sub assemblies are not flexible then there should be little to no effect on the upper level assemblies.

I'm not 100% but if they are grayed out they are suppressed and solver ignores them, so again should be little to no affect. If they are Yellow then they are referencing missing geometry, I believe that may cause problems.
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Unread post by gupta9665 »

I think you can make a macro to delete the suppressed mates but not sure if this would be a good idea.
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

Dwight wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:02 pm I am still curious how much these dead mates affect performance. When I open someone else's assembly and find 30 or 40 of these gray corpses in the mates folder, I'd like to tell the owner how much they slow down performance of the top level assembly. But do they?

Dwight
I was bold and activated the checkmark Treat missing mate references as errors once and it made everything go slow, red and boom.
Don't try this at home.
So maybe they actually do have an effect. They count as suppressed mates as sub-assemblies though... But if you add a new mate in that assembly this might have an effect?
2022-06-23 10_56_40-System Options - Messages_Errors_Warnings.png