Reduced Helpdesk Access Subscription

Damo
Answers: 0

Reduced Helpdesk Access Subscription

Unread post by Damo »

In a previous post I alluded to the fact of increasing subs pricing and my extreme displeasure with my near useless VAR.
I informed them that it was extremely unlikely I would consider parting with any more cash for them given how little help they have been since swallowing up our previous VAR and becoming a literal monopoly.
I have since been contacted and offered a substantially reduced (approx half) subs rate that would in theory entitle me to all updates but very limited helpdesk.. Essentially, they'd only help if something catastrophic (like a bugged update) caused the software to stop entirely.
It is literally the option to remain updated without the risk of backdating payments.. and nothing else..
Has anyone else been offered this..? Or even heard of it..?
And also, does anyone know if now that I am not on subs, can I not access the 3DSwamp..?
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Re: Reduced Helpdesk Access Subscription

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Damo wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:13 am Has anyone else been offered this..? Or even heard of it..?
I seem to have a vague recollection of seeing something about it, but I'm not familiar with it. If the support from your VAR isn't to your liking it sounds like a pretty good deal.
Damo wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:13 am And also, does anyone know if now that I am not on subs, can I not access the 3DSwamp..?
It sounds like you would still be on subs, just at a reduced level, but in any case, I don't think it would affect your access to the Swamp. I'm not sure about that, however. You might reach out to Matthew Hall over there and ask him. I've messaged back and forth with him a few times, and talked to him on the phone a time or two, and he's always been helpful. I believe he's doing the best he can in a difficult situation.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

It is possible to switch VARs, assuming there is another available in your area.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
bentlybobcat

Unread post by bentlybobcat »

Switching VAR's is a major ordeal. Assuming one is available that services your geographic region, you have to apply for it, provide justification, etc. I did it about 14 years ago, but I still had contacts at SolidWorks Corp.

VAR's retain 40% of subscription fee's for "support". That might be why they offered you a discount for not providing support. I find it odd that they are willing to release the revenue. I whispered something similar to my VAR, and hysterical laughter resulted.....

About the only thing I've needed my VAR for was when the software decided I was trying to pirate it when I changed my computer name. They had to get something reset, but they didn't do it, they had to call SolidWorks. That was a couple of years ago.
Bent
Frank_Oostendorp
Answers: 2

Unread post by Frank_Oostendorp »

Might be an idea for your VAR, here they want to increase the annual costs to provide proper support.
https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... WmkjSBZrUA
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Damo wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:13 am I have since been contacted and offered a substantially reduced (approx half) subs rate that would in theory entitle me to all updates but very limited helpdesk.. Essentially, they'd only help if something catastrophic (like a bugged update) caused the software to stop entirely.
Doesn't sound like much of a change
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

When I changed VAR it was as simple as sending a couple of emails. I was off subscription at the time, so that might have been a factor.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
RichGergely

Unread post by RichGergely »

I'd of said you would probably get a discount just listing the instances they had fell below your expectations, don't get shirty about it, just the facts.

There should be no degrade in their level of service offered, the discount should be a recognition of the previous years service quality or rather lack of it.
Damo

Unread post by Damo »

SPerman wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:19 am It is possible to switch VARs, assuming there is another available in your area.
Sadly, I do not believe there is.. Google does not seem to think so either. I can only find VARs interstate. grumph
Damo

Unread post by Damo »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:34 am I seem to have a vague recollection of seeing something about it, but I'm not familiar with it. If the support from your VAR isn't to your liking it sounds like a pretty good deal.

Our Subs (full price) = $2980 P/A. (That is $2057 USD..)
How does this compare with your subs over there..?
Damo

Unread post by Damo »

RichGergely wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:49 pm I'd of said you would probably get a discount just listing the instances they had fell below your expectations, don't get shirty about it, just the facts.
I have clearly informed them of my displeasure. And I did indeed invite them to "Pull a miracle out of their arse" to encourage me to part with another cent. This is what they have come up with..
RichGergely wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:49 pm There should be no degrade in their level of service offered, the discount should be a recognition of the previous years service quality or rather lack of it.
Sadly, they could not possibly offer less than they have so far during this last 18mths (ish).
In fact, the discount was presented as "doing me a favour" to relieve the potential future burden of Backdating Payments.. o[
Damo

Unread post by Damo »

SPerman wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:29 am When I changed VAR it was as simple as sending a couple of emails. I was off subscription at the time, so that might have been a factor.
I may look into this too.. Tho I would need to go interstate to do so.. No more on-site visits.. (Not like my VAR ever came to my office to help.. :roll: )
Uncle_Hairball
Answers: 2

Unread post by Uncle_Hairball »

And also, does anyone know if now that I am not on subs, can I not access the 3DSwamp..?
If you are not on subscription, you can still access the SW forums.
Damo

Unread post by Damo »

Uncle_Hairball wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:39 pm If you are not on subscription, you can still access the SW forums.
Yes. I did work this out.. It's been a while for me and there was confusion over which email account.. :roll:

Cheers mate.
bentlybobcat

Unread post by bentlybobcat »

User access to the forums is a nine-line feces fest.

I've had to have the account I use here from work deleted because they couldn't figure out how to unlock it.

The account I use from home, where I own a seat of SolidWorks had the same thing happen. It took my VAR over a month to figure out how to get it unlocked. He was extremely apologetic and frustrated by the foo-foo he had to go through to get it resolved.

I can't use my personal account here at work. Corporate restrictions..... :cry:
Bent