3D Experience World - Call For Papers

Arthur NY
Answers: 0

3D Experience World - Call For Papers

Unread post by Arthur NY »

Anyone else thinking about going? Are any you thinking of presenting? What is a topic that you'd like to learn more about?

https://3dexperienceworld.com/
tsmith

Re: 3D Experience World - Call For Papers

Unread post by tsmith »

Here's the only paper that will help.

DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

tsmith wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:59 pm Here's the only paper that will help.

Hey, don't knock it! There was a "run" on that stuff at the beginning of the pandemic, remember? ;;
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
TTevolve
Answers: 3

Unread post by TTevolve »

I made sure to stock up when the pandemic started, because that paper is one of the things I didn't want to go without!

So is 3D Experience World the same as solidworks world? Is it all going to be 3Dexperiance topics?
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

TTevolve wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:56 am I made sure to stock up when the pandemic started, because that paper is one of the things I didn't want to go without!

So is 3D Experience World the same as solidworks world? Is it all going to be 3Dexperiance topics?
Yes. SWX Desktop is being relegated to the junk drawer from DSS' point of view. <()>
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

TTevolve wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:56 am So is 3D Experience World the same as solidworks world? Is it all going to be 3Dexperiance topics?
They knew no one would show for a conference on just 3dx so they co-opted SWWorld for their nefarious plan. I've never been to 3dxWorld but from looking at the videos and sessions, Desktopworks is getting less and less attention. They are determined to shovel this excrement down our throats.
>>>

SWWorld used to be the rock star event for SolidWorks. While other CAD conferences were stuffy executive/VP events for stroking EGOs, SWWorld was exciting and showed off cool stuff with a more laid back feel. It went from being AC/DC to some corporate created wanna be boy band.........xWorks anyone? <()> https://super.solidworks.com/
Jason
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Paper?
The whole website is text book 101 what's not to do.

Well unless getting user payment method then lock them out preventing them to un-subscript is trending.
Or sometime re-subscript.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Nope, not a chance.
dave.laban
Answers: 4

Unread post by dave.laban »

Wasn't there meant to be a presentation last year about 3DSwym vs here/elsewhere that got pulled at the last minute?
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

dave.laban wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:26 am Wasn't there meant to be a presentation last year about 3DSwym vs here/elsewhere that got pulled at the last minute?
Yes.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
AlexLachance

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:31 amYes.
If a 'basic forum' can put their platform to shame so much that they remove an entire presentation, you'd think they'd have figured they're not going the right direction.

Instead, they double down on it and name the entire convention around the platform.
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

I think Arthur's question was genuine. I presented at several SWWorlds, but wouldn't consider 3dx-whatever-it-is.

Just so you know, Siemens has kind of gone the same way. For a few short years, they had a special event for Solid Edge, and now it has been rolled back into the overall Siemens Digital Industry Software show (Realize), where it is just an afterthought really. I've been to a couple of those, and while it's enlightening to see what everybody is doing, there really wasn't much on what I was doing. The mainstream specific events were definite shorts and sandals kind of events, but the overall show is more of a slacks and button down shirt kind of thing. I just don't fit in to that kind of crowd.
AlexLachance

matt wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:03 am I think Arthur's question was genuine. I presented at several SWWorlds, but wouldn't consider 3dx-whatever-it-is.

Just so you know, Siemens has kind of gone the same way. For a few short years, they had a special event for Solid Edge, and now it has been rolled back into the overall Siemens Digital Industry Software show (Realize), where it is just an afterthought really. I've been to a couple of those, and while it's enlightening to see what everybody is doing, there really wasn't much on what I was doing. The mainstream specific events were definite shorts and sandals kind of events, but the overall show is more of a slacks and button down shirt kind of thing. I just don't fit in to that kind of crowd.
It was, most answers were genuine but blunt.

I've never presented before so I'm not going to start presenting in a convention about something that dearly cranks me. There are a few questions I do have, though I doubt they'll ever be answered directly, I've already asked countless times. Most answers are "That's above my paygrade".

I'd like to learn what they're doing to fix the mess they've created in the last year and a half or so, are they genuinely listening to their customers? If at least they were even half honest about the entire intent behind all of their doings, it would be a much easier pill to swallow.

What is their vision/opinion on what AutoDesk and Epic Games are working on?

Why have most bridges for direct communication with Dassault employees been 'destroyed'? VARs can only do so much before they end up turning back to Dassault.

Is SolidWorks desktop going to be removed? Yes or no, nothing more. I don't want some garbage speech that avoids the question, I want an answer.
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

AlexLachance wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:43 am It was, most answers were genuine but blunt.

I've never presented before so I'm not going to start presenting in a convention about something that dearly cranks me. There are a few questions I do have, though I doubt they'll ever be answered directly, I've already asked countless times. Most answers are "That's above my paygrade".

I'd like to learn what they're doing to fix the mess they've created in the last year and a half or so, are they genuinely listening to their customers? If at least they were even half honest about the entire intent behind all of their doings, it would be a much easier pill to swallow.

Why have most bridges for direct communication with Dassault employees been 'destroyed'? VARs can only do so much before they end up turning back to Dassault.

Is SolidWorks desktop going to be removed? Yes or no, nothing more. I don't want some garbage speech that avoids the question, I want an answer.
image.png
- - -Randy Pausch
Arthur NY

@AlexLachance Solidworks Desktop as we know it is gone by 2030. I don't have any definitive answer from DDS HQ or anything but it really is just the way things have to be. I mean when you look at the "What's New PDF" over the course of the past 10 years it has steadily gotten smaller and smaller with less and less new features being added. There was a time when I REALLY looked forward to alpha and beta testing to see what new things were coming (granted this is circa 2000 - 2010) but since then it's just been a slooooooooooooooooooow downhill ripping off of the duct tape. They've been trying to slip the 3DXP platform under users toes, thinking they wouldn't notice, and then....straight to users face say "No idea what you're talking about we would NEVER do that!!!!"

At the last SLUGME (Which by far is THE dumbest name of ALL time!!!!) there was not one presentation shown actually using Solidworks Desktop!!! Not one. I mean if that's not a sign of what's to come then hey don't also tell me water is wet either. This is also the strangest part, that DDS is acting like this isn't want they're doing when their actions say it's actually 100% is what is.

The ONLY reason why I've gone the past 10+ years is to catch up with long time friends that I've made over the years.
Glenn Schroeder

Arthur NY wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:11 am @AlexLachance Solidworks Desktop as we know it is gone by 2030. I don't have any definitive answer from DDS HQ or anything but it really is just the way things have to be. I mean when you look at the "What's New PDF" over the course of the past 10 years it has steadily gotten smaller and smaller with less and less new features being added. There was a time when I REALLY looked forward to alpha and beta testing to see what new things were coming (granted this is circa 2000 - 2010) but since then it's just been a slooooooooooooooooooow downhill ripping off of the duct tape. They've been trying to slip the 3DXP platform under users toes, thinking they wouldn't notice, and then....straight to users face say "No idea what you're talking about we would NEVER do that!!!!"
I'll be 69 then. I'm not sure when I'll retire, but almost certainly at 70, if not sooner. I can limp along for a year or two with whatever is the last version of Desktop until then. After that it will be someone else's problem.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

mattpeneguy

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Problem here is that they are trying to shoehorn people into something they don't want... So, their customers are going to have to make a decision, be forced to migrate to a cloud based platform by a company that neglected their needs or choose another path. How many of those customers will make the decision to move to the cloud with DSS?

In somewhat similar news, I went to a conference recently where for the first time ever our Department is dropping a Bentley product because they refused to address any of their concerns. They are going to go through the pain of migrating all of their existing data because their needs were so neglected.

Decisions get made and it's not just current money that matters. Can transitioning data over to a new system be costly? Yes, but if the company has been actively hostile to the customers' needs for years, there's going to be an unknown cost dealing with that company going forward.

I think somebody made the analogy that this is like watching a car accident in slow motion...I agree...
mattpeneguy

AlexLachance wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:43 am It was, most answers were genuine but blunt.

Actions always are more important than words. What actions have they made that have led you to believe that they aren't on the path to eliminate SW desktop? Honest question... Because it sure seems to me that all of the recent actions they've made are ALL toward the other direction.

It doesn't hurt to at least look into the alternatives and do a little leg work on an exit strategy.

Ours may be IV because they've made an effort to go after the transportation industry and SE hasn't moved in that direction, AFAIK. For what we do IV will probably be fine (or better, right @Frederick_Law?)
jcapriotti

Arthur NY wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:11 am @AlexLachance Solidworks Desktop as we know it is gone by 2030. I don't have any definitive answer from DDS HQ or anything but it really is just the way things have to be.
I'm skeptical that will happen. We use DesktopWorks with Windchill.........which will never work together with CloudWorks. Our company isn't likely to switch PLM systems either. There are a lot of companies that mix and match CAD systems with a PLM system. These companies are the largest SolidWorks seat counts Dassault have so to completely drop DesktopWorks means losing a lot of customers.
Jason
Frederick_Law

@mattpeneguy finally we can be friends LOL

If anyone read the SWYM, all those "I can't login", "What happen to my subscription?", "I paid twice and still can't download", are scary.
Updates are forced onto customers. You can't say you have important project and delay the update.

Eric did say it's only small number compare to the whole user base.

If SW users are used to skip SP, they'll totally avoid the monthly update.
Glenn Schroeder

Frederick_Law wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:46 pm @mattpeneguy finally we can be friends LOL

If anyone read the SWYM, all those "I can't login", "What happen to my subscription?", "I paid twice and still can't download", are scary.
Updates are forced onto customers. You can't say you have important project and delay the update.

Eric did say it's only small number compare to the whole user base.

If SW users are used to skip SP, they'll totally avoid the monthly update.
Yes, they are. Even if they're in a minority, the problem still seems prevalent enough for me to recommend staying away from it.

Arthur NY

@jcapriotti It may not 100% go away, but when we look at the amount of what's being invested back in to it pales in comparison to where things were 15 years ago. Take for instance if you installed Solidworks 2012 and tried to get your work done, what % of the new features that have been added in the last 10 years would you say that you could not do without? This is an honest and genuine question in the way that it shows that the level of investment vs say Solidworks 2002 when compared to Solidworks 2012 I could list a TON of features and functionality that would cripple my workflow. Maybe they've squeezed as much blood out of the rock as they are willing to go to without stepping on their own new toes aka 3DXP!!!
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I agree with the sentiment, but not the specific case. In 2022, SW should be mature enough that it doesn't need a laundry list of new features every year. What it does need, is time and energy being spent on fixing the problems created by the last 20 years of half baked new features. That isn't happening either.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
jcapriotti

Arthur NY wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:44 pm @jcapriotti It may not 100% go away, but when we look at the amount of what's being invested back in to it pales in comparison to where things were 15 years ago. Take for instance if you installed Solidworks 2012 and tried to get your work done, what % of the new features that have been added in the last 10 years would you say that you could not do without? This is an honest and genuine question in the way that it shows that the level of investment vs say Solidworks 2002 when compared to Solidworks 2012 I could list a TON of features and functionality that would cripple my workflow. Maybe they've squeezed as much blood out of the rock as they are willing to go to without stepping on their own new toes aka 3DXP!!!
2022 is a lot more "feature" mature than 2012, which was a lot more than 2002. There really isn't that much more to add that is a "sexy" new got to have feature anymore. There are tons of small micro improvements that could be made and sometimes they are, and they often don't make the "What's New" list. A great example in 2022 is that double clicking dimensions no longer loads the Property Manager first which made editing dimensions slower before. We need more small incremental changes like that and finish some of the half baked features.

Photoshop is the same way.......software like any tool matures over time.....then they start adding useless fluff.
image.png
image.png (85.62 KiB) Viewed 1244 times
Jason
Damo

Unread post by Damo »

jcapriotti wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:46 pm <()> https://super.solidworks.com/
I forgot about this...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mattpeneguy

Damo wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:53 pm I forgot about this...
May want to get your coloring book before they realize the mistake of creating that promotional material:
image.png
Anyone want to go over to the 3DXP platform to suggest a pluggin to be able to color the coloring book from within SW?
Frederick_Law

Damo wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:53 pm I forgot about this...
Don't want to remember .....
acmall

Unread post by acmall »

A great example in 2022 is that double clicking dimensions no longer loads the Property Manager first which made editing dimensions slower before.
That is an improvement but as appears to be the norm it is still not well implemented for best efficiency. Select a dimension the Property Manager loads - double click the same dimension value to open the Modify dialog and the Property Manager disappears - close the Modify dialog and the Property Manager loads again! Granted it doesn't have much impact but still.
jcapriotti

acmall wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:39 am That is an improvement but as appears to be the norm it is still not well implemented for best efficiency. Select a dimension the Property Manager loads - double click the same dimension value to open the Modify dialog and the Property Manager disappears - close the Modify dialog and the Property Manager loads again! Granted it doesn't have much impact but still.
There are so many small issues like this that affect performance and eat away at productivity. Selection of entities is one of them that needs a lot of attention. Some like this rate in the top ten of fixes for me but they are not flashy enough for marketing.......hell they don't even show up in the what's new. Personally I believe the Property Manager needs an overhaul in efficiencies like this. More and more settings get added and it's gotten slower. They need to multi-thread it or show less or make the software smarter about what it shows.
Jason
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

jcapriotti wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:51 am There are so many small issues like this that affect performance and eat away at productivity. Selection of entities is one of them that needs a lot of attention. Some like this rate in the top ten of fixes for me but they are not flashy enough for marketing.......hell they don't even show up in the what's new. Personally I believe the Property Manager needs an overhaul in efficiencies like this. More and more settings get added and it's gotten slower. They need to multi-thread it or show less or make the software smarter about what it shows.
The property manager load time seems to be tied to number of GDI objects the process has (even ones that are lost and why SW and PDM are known for blowing the 10k DGI limit). We had serious problems with this early on, nearly dropped SW because SW tech support was all talk and no fix for a while. Anyway, it's the flashy fancy that marketing loves that causes performance problems. I have disliked the "active" property managers ever since they started, always a sloth IMO. The GUI shouldn't need to redraw every time I click somewhere. The interaction of how the OS handles graphic objects between the application and display combined with the apparent catacombs of old GUI code in the application just seems ripe with bloat and inefficiencies. I don't know anything, just some user perception. I wish they would apply some KISS principle and just stop redrawing the UI all the time! Solid Edge is equally bad about this, I think they all are.