Reverse alphabetical order of detail views

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Reverse alphabetical order of detail views

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

Is it possible to let the views start with Z and then let them be filled automatically in reverse alphabetical order?

Z
Y
X
W
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Re: Reverse alphabetical order of detail views

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

I don't believe it is.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
AlexB
Answers: 24

Unread post by AlexB »

You can likely accomplish this with a macro after the drawing is finished to re-name your view letters in reverse order. Otherwise, I don't believe it's possible
berg_lauritz

Incredible. How is that not a functionality? I believe it is a DIN-ISO or at least a strong "recommendation"
Glenn Schroeder

Why would anyone want them in reverse order? (I don't mean that as criticism; I'm genuinely curious.)
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

brandonklar
Answers: 0

Unread post by brandonklar »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:48 am Why would anyone want them in reverse order? (I don't mean that as criticism; I'm genuinely curious.)
I have thought of this before. Just to separate things out from overlapping.
For instance, If I start my datums at A B C, it might be nice to have the views work backwards, Z Y X, etc.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Is this really an ISO standard? We just converted to ISO and don't seeing that. I don't recall any other CAD system handling it this way.
Jason
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

I dont believe there is...
The "closest" way i achieve this in the past is via a macro that rename view after the drawing is completed
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
TTevolve
Answers: 3

Unread post by TTevolve »

Is there a macro that will go thru and rename detail and section views in correct order? I always have to go back on multiple sheets and re -letter them so I don't have gaps. It happens when you create a view or section, then delete it.
Glenn Schroeder

TTevolve wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:35 am Is there a macro that will go thru and rename detail and section views in correct order? I always have to go back on multiple sheets and re -letter them so I don't have gaps. It happens when you create a view or section, then delete it.
I've asked numerous times for an enhancement that would give the user the option to have the software automatically re-name section and detail views if one was deleted, or a new one was added, and even talked directly to one or two people at SW about it, but so far it hasn't happened.

I'm not giving up hope though. They've fixed other things in the past that I didn't think would ever get done.

TTevolve

I had this happen to me last week, I had a drawing with 8 sheets, details/sections A thru J, of course I had to remove the part that section B was from on drawing sheet 2, so now I got to manually go back and re-letter each one. Doesn't happen often, but a pain when it does, I can't believe it would be that hard to have it re-letter them for you.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

TTevolve wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:21 am I had this happen to me last week, I had a drawing with 8 sheets, details/sections A thru J, of course I had to remove the part that section B was from on drawing sheet 2, so now I got to manually go back and re-letter each one. Doesn't happen often, but a pain when it does, I can't believe it would be that hard to have it re-letter them for you.

If the drawing was released (approved and sent to manufacturing), then in my opinion, you shouldn't be renaming details....just have a revision block that says, "Section B removed" And then never use the letter B on that drawing.

But if it is still the preliminary phase, then yes...
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
berg_lauritz

jcapriotti wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:15 pm Is this really an ISO standard? We just converted to ISO and don't seeing that. I don't recall any other CAD system handling it this way.
No, it was a DIN standard though and is still recommended. I just lost access to all those standards though through the library...

I think it is a great way of keeping the drawings clean though - as others have pointed out too!
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

TTevolve wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:35 am Is there a macro that will go thru and rename detail and section views in correct order? I always have to go back on multiple sheets and re -letter them so I don't have gaps. It happens when you create a view or section, then delete it.
In case you need it, i uploaded the macro i have here:
viewtopic.php?t=2596

Macro Feature:
  • Macro will iterate through all sheet and rename detail view, section view, auxilliary view in alphabatical order
  • Macro will skip the letter “I,” “O,” “Q,” “S,” “X,” and “Z”
  • Macro will terminate if view label exceed Z
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
TTevolve

Thanks Zhen
berg_lauritz

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:13 am In case you need it, i uploaded the macro i have here:
viewtopic.php?t=2596

Macro Feature:
  • Macro will iterate through all sheet and rename detail view, section view, auxilliary view in alphabatical order
  • Macro will skip the letter “I,” “O,” “Q,” “S,” “X,” and “Z”
  • Macro will terminate if view label exceed Z
What a beauty! I miss the old forum with all those macros that were available there.