Did file comparison hang?

Dwight
Answers: 2

Did file comparison hang?

Unread post by Dwight »

All

I am running a file comparison that has been going a couple of hours. I suspect it is screwed, but I don't really know. In Task Manager I see CPU being used but memory hasn't changed in a while, which is usually a sign that the process is stuck in a loop or such. Anyone know if that is the case here?

Thanks

Dwight
Dwight

Re: Did file comparison hang?

Unread post by Dwight »

It turns out that it was running fine and did produce results. The "common" volumes were bad, but the "removed" and "added" volumes looked right.

Good to know that, in this case, a static memory level does not mean the process is hung.

Dwight
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I never know how long to wait before killing S.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Dwight wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:23 pm It turns out that it was running fine and did produce results. The "common" volumes were bad, but the "removed" and "added" volumes looked right.

Good to know that, in this case, a static memory level does not mean the process is hung.

Dwight
You can try shutting down explorer.exe and launching the process again. Sometimes if something is stuck, doing that fixes the issue and gets things moving again.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Can you tell more about the file comparison tool? Is it for assemblies? For parts I just import one, "Derived part" I think they call it, into the other then do boolean subtract. I'm guessing the comparison does more?
Dwight

Unread post by Dwight »

bnemec wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:14 pm Can you tell more about the file comparison tool? Is it for assemblies? For parts I just import one, "Derived part" I think they call it, into the other then do boolean subtract. I'm guessing the comparison does more?
It does that basically, but both ways, so you can see what material was removed, what material was added, and what material is the same.

There's also feature comparison and document comparison in that tool, but I have not used those.

Dwight