Turning a complex part into one solid body for mold making

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
MikeyGrrr
Answers: 0

Turning a complex part into one solid body for mold making

Unread post by MikeyGrrr »

Problem Solved.Export and import again to reduce 1600 faces to 100
len_1962

Re: Turning a complex part into one solid body for mold making

Unread post by len_1962 »

to due what you are asking it is not just a simple parting line or split line, and yes those are SW terms as well in other CAD systems too.

you can use the mold tools or cavity tools in an assembly or use multple bodies and the combine tool subtraction or the indent tool or or or

this is a big step if you are just learning SW, no oneway aka EASY Button, sorry.

get online and search vids
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I think if you are a little more specific in what you are trying to accomplish, and what has/hasn't worked for you, the community will be able to provide more help.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
IndianaDave

Unread post by IndianaDave »

Regardless of the Solidworks issue...
How experienced are you in mold design?
If you're learning Solidworks, and also mold design, you've got your work cut out. That part might be above your abilities.
Lets consider the part first.
Does the part have any draft on it?
That part is very complex. Especially if the part designer didn't put any draft on it, which is not uncommon.
You have some huge parting line steps, and complex side actions with slides, and possibly lifters inside the core...
The more I look at it, the more I believe the designer had no consideration on how it would be molded. Yikes.
I designed plastic injection molds for ten years, and have done some very complex designs, but this one looks like it would be up there at the top.

This will involve much tweaking of the part, and manual split lines manually.
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

This is likely a casting. You may have to use a lost wax process. There are processes where you don't need draft (processes where you're going to destroy/not reuse the cast and cores for each part). In these cases, you don't need to design the cast/mold. You'd just build an original part (plus shrink) and then form a cast around it, melt out the original, pour the part and bust the cast off the part.

Without more info, it's hard to say. You'd need sections and probably a 3d model to tell for sure, but my money would be on it being a casting.
IndianaDave

Unread post by IndianaDave »

matt wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:54 pm This is likely a casting. You may have to use a lost wax process. There are processes where you don't need draft (processes where you're going to destroy/not reuse the cast and cores for each part). In these cases, you don't need to design the cast/mold. You'd just build an original part (plus shrink) and then form a cast around it, melt out the original, pour the part and bust the cast off the part.

Without more info, it's hard to say. You'd need sections and probably a 3d model to tell for sure, but my money would be on it being a casting.
You might be right... My plastics background defaulted to injection molding.
I have done some die cast dies also, but not any lost core processes...

We definitely need more info.