NOTICE ABOUT PAST 13 HOURS

For cross-CAD, learning, and maybe a little friendly competition.
matt
Answers: 19

NOTICE ABOUT PAST 13 HOURS

Unread post by matt »

In the battle to fix corrupted uploads, the board went through a series of restore processes, so if things seemed to go missing or revert to an earlier state for a while, that was why. This should be done at this point.

Unfortunately, whatever uploaded images or CAD files or macros or zips that got corrupted are irretrievable. I hired some help, and they weren't able to explain it or fix it. I apologize. There was some evidence of hacking.
That's the best explanation I've heard, but not totally convincing.

Anyway, we are back up and running using a restore from yesterday afternoon, so any changes or settings or other database transactions that took place between about 10 pm last night and 11 am this morning have also been lost, but everything else should be there.

Everything is a learning experience, so there are some new testing and security protocols going into place. Thanks for your patience. Return to whatever you were doing. :?
mike miller
Answers: 7

Re: NOTICE ABOUT PAST 13 HOURS

Unread post by mike miller »

matt wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:35 am In the battle to fix corrupted uploads, the board went through a series of restore processes, so if things seemed to go missing or revert to an earlier state for a while, that was why. This should be done at this point.

Unfortunately, whatever uploaded images or CAD files or macros or zips that got corrupted are irretrievable. I hired some help, and they weren't able to explain it or fix it. I apologize. There was some evidence of hacking.
That's the best explanation I've heard, but not totally convincing.

Anyway, we are back up and running using a restore from yesterday afternoon, so any changes or settings or other database transactions that took place between about 10 pm last night and 11 am this morning have also been lost, but everything else should be there.

Everything is a learning experience, so there are some new testing and security protocols going into place. Thanks for your patience. Return to whatever you were doing. :?

Sorry, Matt. I didn't mean to take the site down when I broke in.
()
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
matt

Unread post by matt »

mike miller wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:03 pm
()
A HA!!!! I knew it was you!!
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

matt wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:35 am Return to whatever you were doing.
Matt, are you sure you want to apply that comment to everyone here? :shock:
matt

Unread post by matt »

bnemec wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:24 pm Matt, are you sure you want to apply that comment to everyone here? :shock:
There are some... ok, a LOT of things I just don't want to know. Ignorance truly is bliss.
MJuric
Answers: 1

Unread post by MJuric »

matt wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:35 am There was some evidence of hacking.
Man, DSS must be really nervous to pull a Russian "Solar Winds" on you.
Krzysztof Szpakowski
Answers: 0

Unread post by Krzysztof Szpakowski »

mike miller wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:03 pm
()
We once had Prime Minister Miller in Poland. The effects were similar... ;)
DanPihlaja
Answers: 25

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Just wanted to say thank you Matt for taking the time, energy, and apparently money to run this site. I hope that you can see the returns that you are getting on it, as it (so far) has kept the same type of social gathering that it was in the old SW forums.

So I just wanted to say that I really appreciate it.

UU :D
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
matt

Unread post by matt »

dpihlaja wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:24 am Just wanted to say thank you Matt for taking the time, energy, and apparently money to run this site. I hope that you can see the returns that you are getting on it, as it (so far) has kept the same type of social gathering that it was in the old SW forums.

So I just wanted to say that I really appreciate it.

UU :D
Thanks, I do appreciate that.
Roasted By John
Answers: 1

Unread post by Roasted By John »

Thank you for what you're doing @matt
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
zxys001
Answers: 5

Unread post by zxys001 »

Matt,..something just happened while viewing different pages,.. I was logged in but then was logged out?... are there two different web servers?
Attachments
logged in.png
logged out.png
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
matt

Unread post by matt »

zxys001 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:59 am Matt,..something just happened while viewing different pages,.. I was logged in but then was logged out?... are there two different web servers?
A couple other people have mentioned this happened when they were trying to download something from the Download extension, or possibly download an attachment that was stored in the Download area. The Upload/Download extension may be buggy.

No, there are not two different web servers.

Or was it something else?
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

matt wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:04 pm A couple other people have mentioned this happened when they were trying to download something from the Download extension, or possibly download an attachment that was stored in the Download area. The Upload/Download extension may be buggy.

Bingo!.. it was a "Download"... sorry, don't remember what it was, I clicked and.... it's gone (will try to find and post)
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

matt wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:04 pm A couple other people have mentioned this happened when they were trying to download something from the Download extension, or possibly download an attachment that was stored in the Download area. The Upload/Download extension may be buggy.

What happens is some links will log you out in the process of redirecting. The worst culprits are links to specific posts and the download center.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
matt

Unread post by matt »

zxys001 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:38 pm Bingo!.. it was a "Download"... sorry, don't remember what it was, I clicked and.... it's gone (will try to find and post)
OK, thanks. That is at least good to know. I thought the Download extension was a good idea, but as the Admin is the only one who can upload, and now this logging out problem, I'm less excited about it.
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

zxys001 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:38 pm Bingo!.. it was a "Download"... sorry, don't remember what it was, I clicked and.... it's gone (will try to find and post)
..here are the pages which kick me out..

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=47
app.php/downloadsystemdownload?id=14
matt

Unread post by matt »

zxys001 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:50 pm ..here are the pages which kick me out..

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=47
app.php/downloadsystemdownload?id=14
Thanks for that. I tried both of those links with my moderator account "matt" in chrome, and a user account "honk" in MS Edge, and I didn't get booted. I'll go back to the developer and see if this is something we can fix.
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

matt wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:53 pm Thanks for that. I tried both of those links with my moderator account "matt" in chrome, and a user account "honk" in MS Edge, and I didn't get booted. I'll go back to the developer and see if this is something we can fix.
Ok... for me, when that green "new" icon page displays, I had to "Login" again and all is good (so, two logins?)
Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

matt wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:44 pm OK, thanks. That is at least good to know. I thought the Download extension was a good idea, but as the Admin is the only one who can upload, and now this logging out problem, I'm less excited about it.
Looks like I can upload now. Am I supposed to be able to?
image.png
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
matt

Unread post by matt »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:18 pm Looks like I can upload now. Am I supposed to be able to?
image.png
Yeah, actually! They hid the switch pretty well, but I found it eventually. We have 3 categories for upload stuff right now: cad files, macros/api, and documents. Let me know if you think of additional categories of upload stuff.
Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

matt wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:30 pm

Yeah, actually! They hid the switch pretty well, but I found it eventually. We have 3 categories for upload stuff right now: cad files, macros/api, and documents. Let me know if you think of additional categories of upload stuff.
Awesome Matt!
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

matt wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:30 pm

Hey Matt,

About the upload, I just tried uploading one of the macros I use on there and it said .swp extensions are not allowed. Do you want us zipping them?
matt

Unread post by matt »

AlexLachance wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:17 am Hey Matt,

About the upload, I just tried uploading one of the macros I use on there and it said .swp extensions are not allowed. Do you want us zipping them?
SWP extensions can be uploaded straight to the main forum, but it looks like the Upload/Download thing can't take them. The ones that are already up there are in a compressed format, so it looks like that's the best way to go.

The documentation on these extensions is non-existent. You never know the limitations until you find them (or someone finds them for you), and even then it might just turn out to be an (again, undocumented) setting.

tl;dr - Yes, please use compressed format to upload, thx.