How would you pattern this

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
SolidKeke
Answers: 0

How would you pattern this

Unread post by SolidKeke »

I want to use just once my screw and washer and pattern it 4 times around the bearing housing. It's just I have torque arm attached to bearing so it makes 10mm gap for 2 instances while other 2 are correctly placed. Reason that I want to use just once these parts is that they go nicely together with exploded view. I'm gonna leave it like in the picture below if no better solutions are shown to me :D
image.png
by DanPihlaja » Fri May 21, 2021 7:58 am
Use a sketch driven component pattern.

In your assembly, create a 3D sketch and place sketch points at the intersection of the surface you want the bolt and washer to contact and the axis of the hole.

Then create a Sketch driven component pattern and select the 3D sketch as your reference sketch.

image.png
image.png
Go to full post
Best Regards,
SolidKeke
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Re: How would you pattern this

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

In that case I'd probably do "Copy with Mates" instead of a pattern. I wouldn't leave it like that, but I also rarely do exploded views. Someone else might have a better idea.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Use a sketch driven component pattern.

In your assembly, create a 3D sketch and place sketch points at the intersection of the surface you want the bolt and washer to contact and the axis of the hole.

Then create a Sketch driven component pattern and select the 3D sketch as your reference sketch.

image.png
image.png
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

For completeness, if those holes were created with Hole Wizard, a Pattern Driven Component Pattern will pattern both the washer and the fastener to all holes in that hole wizard group.
Regarding not showing fasteners, or anything really, just create a display state with them hidden and use that for your exploded view, right?
I just got my first cup of coffee...So, it may not be as simple as I'm thinking...gotta let that coffee soak in...
SolidKeke
Answers: 0

Unread post by SolidKeke »

Thanks for the answers.

mattpeneguy: Holes are with Holewizard but torque arm got only 2 holes and bearing holes are at same level I didn't get the wanted results. Also this is part of large(ish) assembly and it got a lot of different fixing components so I need to point out where these parts are actually used so hiding them in exploded view is not a solution in this case :)

dpihlaja: This seems to be the solution I want, I'm gonna try this, thank you!

Glenn Schroeder: This is how I usually do this kind of things, now I wanted to look outside of the box :) This just doesn't solve my problem with the exploded view.
Best Regards,
SolidKeke
Merovingien

Unread post by Merovingien »

the repeat by sketch is good, but beware of the "origin point", or will get not 4, but 5 screws in the BOM.

if it's a repetetive problem-need, and if you master the "SW internal identifier" for BOM.

you can create in the washer...
(because i supposed you work with good mating : washer wear all the mates of the screw,
screw don't have mate with the others parts)

... so you can create in the washer... additionnal configs with an offset from origin at a specified value.

so after in the pattern, you can select the "offset config" for the 2 needed.