New behavior in SW2022 when opening Part files from Drawing

Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

New behavior in SW2022 when opening Part files from Drawing

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

This behavior just started with SW 2022:

1. I'm working in a Drawing, and it's the only SW file open. It has a drawing view of an Assembly.
2. Click on a Part in that drawing view and choose the "Open Part" icon.
3. The Part file opens, as expected.
4. Here's the part where behavior has changed. If I close that Part file, or Ctrl+Tab to go back to the Drawing, the Assembly is open on my screen instead of the Drawing.

So when I open a Part from an Assembly drawing view it also opens the Assembly. Is anyone else seeing that, and/or knows of a way to turn it off? If I wanted the Assembly open I'd open it intentionally, and I don't want to spend the extra time closing a file that I didn't want or need open in the first place.

I've looked through the What's New site for SW2022 and the settings at Tools > Options > System Options and haven't found anything about it, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. I'm old. I sometimes overlook things.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Re: New behavior in SW2022 when opening Part files from Drawing

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

What do you have set here?:
image.png
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
Glenn Schroeder

DanPihlaja wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:01 pm What do you have set here?:

image.png
That box wasn't checked, but I tried de-selecting it and it didn't make any difference.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Alin
Answers: 3

Unread post by Alin »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:53 am This behavior just started with SW 2022:

1. I'm working in a Drawing, and it's the only SW file open. It has a drawing view of an Assembly.
4. Here's the part where behavior has changed. If I close that Part file, or Ctrl+Tab to go back to the Drawing, the Assembly is open on my screen instead of the Drawing.

So when I open a Part from an Assembly drawing view it also opens the Assembly. Is anyone else seeing that, and/or knows of a way to turn it off? If I wanted the Assembly open I'd open it intentionally, and I don't want to spend the extra time closing a file that I didn't want or need open in the first place.

I've looked through the What's New site for SW2022 and the settings at Tools > Options > System Options and haven't found anything about it, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. I'm old. I sometimes overlook things.
That is so cool, Glenn. I have not experienced this behavior yet. Please report this to your VAR and let us know what they say.
Glenn Schroeder

Alin wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:17 pm That is so cool, Glenn. I have not experienced this behavior yet. Please report this to your VAR and let us know what they say.
I just did, and I will report back.

Glenn Schroeder

Alin wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:17 pm That is so cool, Glenn. I have not experienced this behavior yet. Please report this to your VAR and let us know what they say.
At my VAR's request I did a problem capture and sent it in. The tech replied that he saw the same behavior with my model, and also with new files created with default templates, so he's escalating it to SW as a possible bug.

I had wondered if it might be a template issue, since mine date back to at least 2009, and maybe 2008, but apparently not.

Glenn Schroeder

I just heard back from my VAR again (have I said how much I like GoEngineer?). Below is what he said.

"I received word back from SOLIDWORKS. Looks like this is an SPR in effect. Here is what they said:

“I looked into SPR database before submitting and I found this issue is submitted to development team in SPR 1229414 which states

‘Open part from drawing view also opens the assembly containing the part. (Generic)’

I have linked this SR to that SPR so that you and the customer will be notified with the SPR status updates. This issue should get resolved post successful QA testing in the upcoming releases.”

I hope you find this information helpful."

Alin
Answers: 3

Unread post by Alin »

image.png
Glenn Schroeder

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:53 am This behavior just started with SW 2022:

I am happy to report that this is fixed with service pack 4.0.