Global coordinate system

jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Global coordinate system

Unread post by jcapriotti »

While working with our global partners, in their templates they place a coordinate system at the origin with x,y,z in the same orientation as the standard.

Example:
image.png
Is there a compelling reason to do this that I'm missing? The origin already acts as a coordinate system for the purposes of mating and exporting. What other reason would this be needed?
Jason
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Re: Global coordinate system

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

I don't know of any reason to do that, or for that matter why they have the axes saved. I had them in my templates for a few years, since they were useful for linear patterning, but since SW introduced the enhancement where you can use planes to drive linear patterns, and it works very well, I deleted them.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
jcapriotti

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:07 pm I don't know of any reason to do that, or for that matter why they have the axes saved. I had them in my templates for a few years, since they were useful for linear patterning, but since SW introduced the enhancement where you can use planes to drive linear patterns, and it works very well, I deleted them.
The axes are in ours....I added them a few years back after see Inventor had them. But I agree, enhancements over the years made them less needed.
Jason
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

Is it for manufacturing? I haven't done any CAM in solidworks, but it seems like up until 2022 coordinate systems were mainly for CAM.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
jcapriotti

SPerman wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:57 pm Is it for manufacturing? I haven't done any CAM in solidworks, but it seems like up until 2022 coordinate systems were mainly for CAM.
Prior to 2022, the only use for coordinate systems I can think of was for exporting models to a particular CS location and for calculating Moments of inertia at a particular CS. The new 2022 has some additional utility, but overall, I can't think of reason to create one at the origin.
Jason
MattW
Answers: 2

Unread post by MattW »

If you can, I would contact them and ask, because it is a good question. I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is along the lines of "we have always done it this way."

The other reason I could think is if they use a macro that looks for a CS, since maybe you can't refer to the default since it isn't explicitly called out.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

When I first started using SW I added a CS at the origin to my template. That was before I discovered that coordinate systems were useless in SW. I still find early parts from time to time that have the CS. This may be a similar case.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Ry-guy
Answers: 1

Unread post by Ry-guy »

It could be used as the design position tool. If you work auto or aero you may have a predetermined global csys and you design in the context of that csys. This allows parent/owner company to drop all components into their assy using 0,0,0. No mating conditions. This does require you to build your parts in actual design position- which sucks.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

It sucks less in NX, where you can make any CS your work CS.
-
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

jcapriotti wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:45 am While working with our global partners, in their templates they place a coordinate system at the origin with x,y,z in the same orientation as the standard.

Example:
image.png

Is there a compelling reason to do this that I'm missing? The origin already acts as a coordinate system for the purposes of mating and exporting. What other reason would this be needed?
I'm guessing two reasons:
  1. You can rename the coordinate system to your gusto
  2. the axes are tied to the coordinate system that you placed
So JUST IN CASE you can 'fix' all your issues regarding mating/CAM by moving/naming one coordinate system.
KQuigley
Answers: 0

Unread post by KQuigley »

Ry-guy wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:45 pm It could be used as the design position tool. If you work auto or aero you may have a predetermined global csys and you design in the context of that csys. This allows parent/owner company to drop all components into their assy using 0,0,0. No mating conditions. This does require you to build your parts in actual design position- which sucks.
This would be my guess as well. Standard in aerospace and automotive (carline). Also in AEC with tie into nothings and eastings global positioning…not that Solidworks can deal with that due to max physical model size.

It’s actually a really good way to collaborate between systems without having to worry about mating.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Ry-guy wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:45 pm It could be used as the design position tool. If you work auto or aero you may have a predetermined global csys and you design in the context of that csys. This allows parent/owner company to drop all components into their assy using 0,0,0. No mating conditions. This does require you to build your parts in actual design position- which sucks.
That is most likely the purpose. We use coordinate systems as "origins" to quickly assemble multiple sub-assemblies, since they are integrated, switching from one assembly to the other is a lot easier since you do not have to redo certain mates because of geometry changes and what-not.