Part Name Mismatch

Bryan O
Answers: 1

Part Name Mismatch

Unread post by Bryan O »

My part name in the feature manager does not match In the actual file name.
I think I made this assembly using replace reference and the filename in the feature manager is still referencing the original file.
It is checked into PDM. I thought that might be the issue and checked it in to check. still a problem.
Has anyone seen a similar issue?
image.png
matt
Answers: 18

Re: Part Name Mismatch

Unread post by matt »

Yeah, this is a feature. Tools > Options > General > External References. If you have Update Component Names When Documents Are Replaced turned OFF, it will allow you to rename the component in Component Properties.
image.png
So if you want it to go back to the file name, you can turn that switch on, or just set the Component Name to whatever you want it to be.
image.png
Bryan O
Answers: 1

Unread post by Bryan O »

Can this not be turned on after the fact?
Does that mean that it would be a manual rename in an assembly that was already created?

I did turn that switch on but when I click on the part name to rename it, when it highlights in blue to rename, it shows the correct file name. I select else where and (to un highlight) and it show the incorrect number again?
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

matt wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:24 am Yeah, this is a feature. Tools > Options > General > External References. If you have Update Component Names When Documents Are Replaced turned OFF, it will allow you to rename the component in Component Properties.
image.png
That's one of those options that have always puzzled me (I know, I know, a lot of things puzzle me). Why is that even an option? When would you not want that name to change in the tree?
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
matt

Unread post by matt »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:28 pm That's one of those options that have always puzzled me (I know, I know, a lot of things puzzle me). Why is that even an option? When would you not want that name to change in the tree?
It's just like this website. Every body wants something special, and most of the requests contradict another request. The first few years they were making the software, a lot of the settings were copied from Pro/E. But then the Acad people complained. They had to put in options so people could do stuff. Sometimes the options weren't perfect. Some people wanted names in the tree other than the file name because they had to use random filenames. There's always some explanation.
Rob
Answers: 2

Unread post by Rob »

matt wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:08 pm Some people wanted names in the tree other than the file name because they had to use random filenames..
Isn't that what the Description property is for?
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Rob wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:39 am

That option to display it in the tree didn't exist in the early versions.
Jason
matt

Unread post by matt »

Rob wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:39 am
You could also do that with the description. But description is for the BOM. People were still living in the world where 2d drawings weren't going to exist.
jcapriotti

matt wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:11 am You could also do that with the description. But description is for the BOM. People were still living in the world where 2d drawings weren't going to exist.
Is that the world where my flying car exists......still waiting since the 1980s when it was promised to me as a kid.
Jason
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

jcapriotti wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:09 am
matt wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:11 am You could also do that with the description. But description is for the BOM. People were still living in the world where 2d drawings weren't going to exist.
Is that the world where my flying car exists......still waiting since the 1980s when it promised to me as a kid.
. . . and the same one where the US is converting to metric. Some (maybe most?) state DoT's tried that in the last century. It was a disaster. I was still on the construction crew here, and I can't tell you how much time we lost when a project would come to screeching halt because stuff didn't fit because of that attempted transition.

As far as I know they have all gone back to Imperial.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
jcapriotti

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:23 pm . . . and the same one where the US is converting to metric. Some (maybe most?) state DoT's tried that in the last century. It was a disaster. I was still on the construction crew here, and I can't tell you how much time we lost when a project would come to screeching halt because stuff didn't fit because of that attempted transition.

As far as I know they have all gone back to Imperial.

Our US division is about to convert since the rest of our international divisions are all on metric. Also converting to 1st angle projection. Should be fun.
Jason