Parsing assemblies/parts in an assembly

Programming and macros
gerard
Answers: 0

Parsing assemblies/parts in an assembly

Unread post by gerard »

Hi all,

I get a lot of step files created in CREO from an industry partner of ours for use in our models. I've tried parasolid, and the parts are better, but CREA tends to flatten out the assembly into all parts. Less than useful.

For whatever reason when SWx imports these, the parts will typically come in as surfaces. Opening the parts and running the diagnostic will create solids from the surfaces.

As some of these models have a lot of parts, this is obviously a bit tedious, so I created a macro to open the step file and then parse through the feature tree opening the files, running the diagnostic, saving and closing.

The macro works pretty well, but I'm wanting to do better.

Most of these assemblies use parts in multiple places, so the process will open already fixed parts and go through the process. As there are often a lot of parts, this becomes time consuming.

Any thoughts on an easy way to determine if a part has already been opened and fixed?

thanks

g
JSculley
Answers: 55

Re: Parsing assemblies/parts in an assembly

Unread post by JSculley »

Just to make sure you aren't spending time on something you may not need, are your import options set to create solids?
image.png
gerard
Answers: 0

Re: Parsing assemblies/parts in an assembly

Unread post by gerard »

JSculley wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:13 pm Just to make sure you aren't spending time on something you may not need, are your import options set to create solids?

image.png
Yep.

It's not every part, but a large (>50%) fraction.

Question is moot at this juncture. I put in an array which gets the names of the saved files and the routine looks to see if the part name is there before opening. Was pretty simple.

Thanks