How Do I Twist a Bus Bar in Sheetmetal?

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
DanBovinich
Answers: 1

How Do I Twist a Bus Bar in Sheetmetal?

Unread post by DanBovinich »

I'm not that good in Sheetmetal, can only do the basics. I am trying to make a copper bus bar that is twisted 3° on one end.

I tried many things in sheetmetal but couldn't figure it out. I know there are at least a couple of way to make it using normal features like loft and sweep.

If you open the SW part attached to this e-mail you will see what I'm trying to do.

I want the part to be made as a sheet metal part AND be able to flatten it.

Its probably a 5 minute job for you expert sheetmetal guys.

Please upload a sample of it... :)

Thank you,
Attachments
twisted busbar.SLDPRT
(81.87 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
by Dennis Bacon » Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:09 pm
I'm going to try this again.. Think I'm getting the hang of adding files.. I did this with Lofted-Bend.. Note the two 3D sketches. Your file is a future version for me but I was able to get the info I needed from a dumb solid.
Go to full post
Thank you,

Dan B.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Re: How Do I Twist a Bus Bar in Sheetmetal?

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Sheet metal won't form in this way.....it's mostly for straight bends and some limited cases of bends around a curve.

You could extrude your bar full length then use the "Flex" feature to twist it starting in the middle. Or you could just configure the 3° angle dimension in Sketch3 to 0° in your flat configuration.
Jason
Dennis Bacon
Answers: 4

Unread post by Dennis Bacon »

I'm going to try this again.. Think I'm getting the hang of adding files.. I did this with Lofted-Bend.. Note the two 3D sketches. Your file is a future version for me but I was able to get the info I needed from a dumb solid.
Attachments
twisted busbar_db.SLDPRT
(96.25 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Dennis Bacon wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:09 pm I'm going to try this again.. Think I'm getting the hang of adding files.. I did this with Lofted-Bend.. Note the two 3D sketches. Your file is a future version for me but I was able to get the info I needed from a dumb solid.
Nice trick with the lofted bend.
Jason
DanBovinich
Answers: 1

Unread post by DanBovinich »

Dennis Bacon wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:09 pm I'm going to try this again.. Think I'm getting the hang of adding files.. I did this with Lofted-Bend.. Note the two 3D sketches. Your file is a future version for me but I was able to get the info I needed from a dumb solid.
That worked great. I added (2) new 3D sketches with a spline and made the spline tangent to the straight part of bar. Did the lofted bend. Worked like a charm! :D :)

Thank you so much...

Dan B.
Thank you,

Dan B.