GDI's Creeping up working Remotely?

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
JMOS4
Answers: 0

GDI's Creeping up working Remotely?

Unread post by JMOS4 »

Hi all,

Not sure if this is in the correct section if not please move to the correct section.

I am running Solidworks 2019 SP-4.0 and working in the office my GDI's are in the 2000 range now working remotely they seem to creep up over time and then get the resource running low message and then eventually crash, all on the same file, we do run through a PDM as well if that has anything to do with it.

Computer Dell 7540 with a RTX3000

Things different between office and home:

2 Samsung monitors at work and a very old HP2335 and a newer HP 271 at home

in the office use Dell Docking station, home a generic USB docking station

I also borrow a license while working remotely, just in case the internet crashes, is the only other thing I do differently

My current work around is to monitor and once it gets to around 8000 shut down Solidworks and restart, I have inquired of our IT guys , but they don't seem to have a answer either

Regards,
Jim
Marshall Wilson
Answers: 1

Re: GDI's Creeping up working Remotely?

Unread post by Marshall Wilson »

Though I can't say what is happening for you, I've had some unhappy experience with generic docking stations myself, so I'd experiment with taking that out of the equation if you can. I've found my best experience by plugging in monitors directly into my HP Zbook; One HDMI and One DisplayPort (via a USB C connector)...
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Do you have only Solidworks files in the Vault or are there other CAD file types?

I assume you're talking about the Solidworks.exe process only? Are you also seeing higher GDI usage in explorer.exe (Assuming you're using vault view in explorer) when on VPN?
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

I think there was a PDM GDI lack problem reported before.
You can increase Windows GDI and User Object amount. Reboot when see warning.
MJuric
Answers: 1

Unread post by MJuric »

JMOS4 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:32 am Hi all,

Not sure if this is in the correct section if not please move to the correct section.

I am running Solidworks 2019 SP-4.0 and working in the office my GDI's are in the 2000 range now working remotely they seem to creep up over time and then get the resource running low message and then eventually crash, all on the same file, we do run through a PDM as well if that has anything to do with it.
You've not noticed this problem when you're in the office? Pretty much every version of SW up thru 2018 has GDI and other resource issues. You can increase the limit on Windows but that only delays the inevitable restart of SW.

Is it possible you're just viewing more files since you're remote? I've had several cases where pre-viewing files in the PDM ends up eating resources like an teenage boy does food.
JMOS4
Answers: 0

Unread post by JMOS4 »

Hi all,

Haven't had a chance to get back to this post, but had my IT guy increase my GDI limits and that did help, although had 1 assembly and a copy another coworker did, one was on my local and the other was in our vault or PDM well the one on my hard drive was around 2000 GDI's the one from the vault was running at 17000 GDI's so I am thinking it has more todo with the Vault/PDM system and communication.

I would think the Vault shouldn't do much back and forth with the network unless I check out a model or check it in but as stated that does not appear the case unless someone has a idea on what setting might be contributing to the issue

Regards,
Jim
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

JMOS4 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:34 pm Hi all,

Haven't had a chance to get back to this post, but had my IT guy increase my GDI limits and that did help, although had 1 assembly and a copy another coworker did, one was on my local and the other was in our vault or PDM well the one on my hard drive was around 2000 GDI's the one from the vault was running at 17000 GDI's so I am thinking it has more todo with the Vault/PDM system and communication.

I would think the Vault shouldn't do much back and forth with the network unless I check out a model or check it in but as stated that does not appear the case unless someone has a idea on what setting might be contributing to the issue

Regards,
Jim
~17,000 GDI for one process is rather high. You might want to start a support case with your VAR, it's my lay understanding that there are many things that can cause this and could be specific to your environment.